• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Model 4P On the Go

pski

Staff member
Just saw this in the 1984 RS Computer Catalog.

Screen Shot 2015-07-04 at 1.53.18 PM.jpg

LOL! The pic of the guy in the suit with the 4P. I was still a kid at this time, but come on, I love the 4P. but did anyone really do this in the business world?

I don't know about using a 4P like that but I did see people carrying around the lunchpails from Compaq, Kaypro, and Osborne. Good thing the early 80s were a time when executives were expected to work out.

The 4P was rather late to the market and smaller form laptops started becoming commonplace soon after the 4P was announced. Another case of Tandy jumping on a market just as the market was ending.

IBM PC based lunchpails lasted a long time because they could include normal ISA cards and thus could do a lot of portable diagnostic tasks. I think I was still seeing Compaq Portable style cases used for network analysis through about 1995.

Last edited:
Yes, the Tandy 600 was 10 pounds but the Data General One which was a full on DOS laptop with a much better screen that weighed 9 pounds was already available.

Pretty cool portable since it has 2 disk drives, could use one for the system and one for data without ever swapping disks. Gonna be the king of all executives...

Back