• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

External monitor for Epson PX8 Geneva

Charles21

After 28 years I managed to restart my Epson PX-8 Geneva. Unfortunately the screen seems even harder to read now than it was when the computer was new (and my vision was sharper).

Is there any way to connect an external monitor to the PX-8?

Thanks

IF it's even supported:

1) You'd need a null-modem PX-8 cable
2) connect above cable to a terminal/PC running terminal emulator software
3) You'd need to run the STAT CON:=TTY: (or whatever the proper entry would be for the TTY: entry. I don't know offhand the IOBYTE devices in the Epson BIOS.)

IF it's even supported:

1) You'd need a null-modem PX-8 cable
2) connect above cable to a terminal/PC running terminal emulator software
3) You'd need to run the STAT CON:=TTY: (or whatever the proper entry would be for the TTY: entry. I don't know offhand the IOBYTE devices in the Epson BIOS.)

Thanks for your reply. I checked on the PX-8 manual and Epson did offer an RS232C null modem cable (Cable #726). I don't have it, but I can try to find one. But I wonder how it should be connected to my PC that does not have a RS232 port. Also, what terminal emulator software would you recommend?

Thanks

I think you can copy over the HyperTerminal program from Windows 98 to XP/7 and it'll work.
As to comm port, get a USB<->serial adapter, but stick with a brand-name like belkin/et al, so you don't have issues.

You can do what I did - get the matching (physical connector) DIN cable from an older Mac, chop it in half in the middle, and now you can make two cables.

I think you can copy over the HyperTerminal program from Windows 98 to XP/7 and it'll work.
As to comm port, get a USB<->serial adapter, but stick with a brand-name like belkin/et al, so you don't have issues.

You can do what I did - get the matching (physical connector) DIN cable from an older Mac, chop it in half in the middle, and now you can make two cables.

Thanks for the very good information!

Back