• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Apple Newton MP 120 - Help

ColourClassic

I bought a used apple newton MP 120 off ebay and it came yesterday. It works fine, thats not the problem. the problem is that it has a passcode required to use it. It comes up with a 10 digit keypad and asks for the passcode. It is running OS 2.0

Is there a way to get around this?

Yank out the primary and backup batteries for a while. Zap, all data lost. :) (I'm sure these is a more formal process but my Newton manual is currently locked away in storage.)

Are you sure this will work, won't it just remove stuff like the date/time?
In the manual it says if you forget your pin code, you must return your newton to an apple certified dealer to have it unlocked. Obviously I can't do that these days. I also saw a program that lets you crack the pin code, i think it's called battering ram, butt you have to load it onto one of the removable newton memory cards, which I dont have.

Got it! Yay. Great website, thanks!

For those having this problem, press the reset while holding the power switch to do a total system erase, this includes all passwords etc.

I'm sure sending it back would allow them to clear your PIN, while retaining data.

No reason to worry about data security, if doing a full-reset.

Most PDA's are like that - total wipe clears passwords, as well as data.

Glad ya got it going. I'm kinda' partial to Newt's. I had an MP110 in like 1995, then an MP120, then NOS 2.0 They were interesting, but huge, heavy, and the hadwriting recognition kinda sucked.

But, they were interesting!

Tony

Back