• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Modem for Kaypro 10 or II

Are you looking for an Internal Modem for the Kaypro, or an External RS-232C Modem like a US Robotics Modem?
Do you have the RS-232C Cable for an External Modem?

What Communication Software are you planning to use for the Kaypro?

Larry

Ah sorry I should have specified. I'm looking for an external modem, and I do not have the cable so I will need one of those too.
I'm not very well informed on Kaypro's, I've had the Kaypro 10 for a number of years that but I mostly used it for games and attempted to program using Microsoft Basic.
IIRC there was a program installed on the hard drive called comstar or something, I will have to boot it up again and check.
If there is a modem that will work with both the Kaypro 10 and Kaypro II that would be best.

I think you are going to have to fabricate or modify an existing cable to get the Modem functional. I looked up the Kaypro II Serial port and
the INPUTS & OUTPUTS from the Kaypro II are:

OUTPUTS
Pin 2 - TxD
Pin 4 - RTS
Pin 20 - DTR

INPUTS
Pin 3 - RxD
Pin 5 - CTS
Pin 8 - DCD

PULLED UP -- NOT USED by KAYPRO II
Pin 6 - DSR

and the Modem should be as follows:

Modem
DB25M
TxD 2
RxD 3
RTS 4
CTS 5
GND 7
DCD/DSR 8/6
DTR 20

So your cable should be:

Modem............Kaypro II
DB25M............DB25M
TxD 2 -------------- 3 RxD
RxD 3 -------------- 2 TxD
RTS 4 -------------- 5 CTS
CTS 5 -------------- 4 RTS
GND 7 -------------- 7 GND
DCD/DSR 8/6 -------------- 20 DTR
DTR 20 -------------- 8 DCD

Larry

Kaypro-II_Serial.jpg

Most any RS-232 modem should work, provided you have the right cable like Larry mentioned.

It's worth mentioning though, if you're using a terminal emulator on a Kaypro II (and maybe 10) you'll be limited to around 1200bps, or 2400 if you've got a speed mod installed. This is becuase the video circuitry is slow and the terminal programs can't process incoming characters while scrolling. There's a few solutions out there, but YMMV. This issue doesn't apply to file transfers, which should be OK up to 19,200bps.

A quick check on ebay found several US Robitics 5686 for around $20.00 with free shipping. Just make sure there is an AC Adapter and RS-232C Cable.

Mite & Mex are located at:
http://www.retroarchive.org/maslin/disks/kaypro/

I'll look over my stash this coming weekend to see what I have available. But, the last box I shipped to Winnipeg was $10.30 for a small Circuit Board.

Larry

Last edited:
Back