• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Programming the Kaypro 2/84 SIO

smp

Veteran Member
Hello all,

I've been playing around with my Kaypro 2/84, and now I am wondering how to get source code into it so I can assemble it. In particular, I am interested in getting the Fig-FORTH source code into the machine. This is a significant sized source file, so simply typing it in is not really at the top of my list of options.

My other vintage CP/M machine is an IMSAI with a Northstar floppy disk controller, so I do not have the option of moving a CP/M disk from that machine to the Kaypro.

So, I've been thinking about writing a simple Hex Loader. That's something that I could type in and get running, and then I would be in a position to read Hex files in via the serial I/O port.

The Kaypro has a Z80 SIO in it, as far as I can find out. I've also found out that the data I/O port is port 04H and the control/status port is port 06H. There is a program on my CP/M system disk called BAUDM to set the baud rate for the SIO so I do not have to worry about initializing the device, I only have to read from it and write to it. What I do not know is how to work with the control/status port. Does anyone know what status bit I need to mask for to see that input data is available, and also what status bit I need to mask for to see if the transmitter is ready?

If anyone has any code snippets, I would be grateful to see them. Also, since I have only the CP/M assembler, 8080 code would be most appropriate, but I can translate if necessary.

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.

smp

Last edited:
Do you have a PC with a 5.25" drive? The shareware version of 22DISK can format a Kaypro disk and write the files to it.

Yes, I do... and I have done that kind of thing before, too. I guess that would be the best way to go. I'll just have to figure out how to do it again.

I was kind of hoping to do this project to end up with a tool that I could use and share with others. If anyone has any thoughts about how to get it done, please speak up.

smp

Probably the simplest approach is just to get yourself a null-modem cable and a disk with a decent comms utility on it so you can send files from a PC with an XMODEM/ZMODEM utility. I should be able to set you up with a Kaypro disk with the requisite software, though you'll have to provide the null-modem cable.

Probably the simplest approach is just to get yourself a null-modem cable and a disk with a decent comms utility on it so you can send files from a PC with an XMODEM/ZMODEM utility. I should be able to set you up with a Kaypro disk with the requisite software, though you'll have to provide the null-modem cable.

PM sent!

smp

Do you have a PC with a 5.25" drive? The shareware version of 22DISK can format a Kaypro disk and write the files to it.

OK, I've done the 22DISK thing, so I can get files into my Kaypro. Thanks very much for the reminder.

I am still interested in playing around with the Z80 SIO. If anyone has any code snippets to share, I would appreciate seeing them.

smp

The simplest way would be to find the BYE (or MBYE) insert for the model of Kaypro you've got.

g.

Back