• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Info needed on Laser PC4 portable computer- PLEASE HELP!

thezer012

Hello, I recently picked up a Laser PC4 from goodwill that works, but cannot find any information on it. The specific question I have is on what the 34 pin port on the back with the removable cover is for. I would like to find out what goes there and potentially put something there. Any information would be appreciated. Here is a picture of the port and computer.20151230_005548.jpg20151230_005616.jpg

Thanks

Considering the capabilities (not much) of the PC4, there's an amazing amount on the web. Google for "Laser PC4"

Dave McGlone does a pretty good rundown on it in an old Z-Letter. Basically a 3.58 MHz Z80 diskless notebook with 2MB of ROM and 32K of RAM. Interfaces for Centronics printer and a serial port. No external storage support AFAICT.

The case says "no user-serviceable parts inside" and it's probably correct. I'm not aware of anyone hacking one of these.

Given the time (1990) it was pretty underpowered for the time.

That is very helpful, thanks. So am I understanding correctly that the port in the second picture is for connecting to a centronics printer?

A possible reference to the port layout can be found http://www.8bit-micro.com/laser.htm

The internal port with the two tabs in front of it seems to be for expansion cartridges. I am surprised that it lacks any external storage option; all the similar sized competing systems had some form of storage accessory.

Necroposting to ask if you ever managed to find a digital copy of the manual for any of the Laser PC series. It's astounding how little info there is out there.

Back