• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Compaq portable III ISA slot?

oblivion

Veteran Member
so I'm finding a little conflicting info out there. I'm on the fence ATM about picking up a portable III locally. does the Portable III have a ISA slot available built in for expansion or is that for the optional modem? I know there is a expansion module that fits on the back that adds two ISA slots but is there 1 built in? some sources say yes and other don't mention one so....

so I'm finding a little conflicting info out there. I'm on the fence ATM about picking up a portable III locally. does the Portable III have a ISA slot available built in for expansion or is that for the optional modem? I know there is a expansion module that fits on the back that adds two ISA slots but is there 1 built in? some sources say yes and other don't mention one so....

No, there are no ISA slots on the base machine. As you mention, the expansion module that connects to the back is the only way to get ISA slots. RAM is also difficult to upgrade as you need the modem/ram expansion module and a separate ram module on top of that. I recently picked one up it's a 286 version. I've got quite a few pics of it here:

http://tkc8800.com/post/compaq-portable-iii

Back