• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

HP 200lx - Korean keyboard

rosaage

Experienced Member
I recently bought a hp 200lx here. It is a Korean version. All the keys have small Korean symbols on them, and a sticker under the machine says Korea / English. So the problem now is that no matter what weird key combos I press I can't seem to find out how to type these characters. The manual I got was the US version and does not mention Korea anywhere, and since I can't speak/write Korean I can't find anything by searching online either. The only thing close to this I found was something about some language / keyboard files, but I can only find the files mentioned in the US manual. In the back of the manual it shows images of different keyboard layouts but all of these seem to be European layouts. Any idea how I can enable Korean characters?

Never used a korean computer, but i guess it's the same as with Japanese keyboards - you need rather software that supports displaying korean characters and supports inputting them. Maybe there's some korean DOS freeware programs? Did the HP 200LX offer a korean option on initialization? I'd have thought that something like the editor offers korean input? Did you try to hit "Shift & Space" to switch input?

Last edited:
IMG_20160403_175919.jpg

I couldn't find anything about Korean when I first powered on the machine, and as you can see the keyboard has arrows pointing to shift+space so I have tried this too. I feel it's a little strange if you have to copy over Korean programs, but I have tried most of the programs with input and none of them are showing any Korean characters.

Hmmm i guess then maybe it lacks the HSE200 Hangul input enabler? Seems odd that it is missing on a korean version, did HP not include it at all??? How weird since it has a Korean keyboard...

Well but you can just install it yourself...

I attach a zip with the HSE200. Just copy the files directly to C:\ then in config.sys add the line "device=c:\lxjex.sys". In Autoexec.bat add the line "c:\hse200.com". Then just reboot.

After that shift + space should switch to Hangul input. I don't really speak Korean (I am only good at Japanese) so don't expect much more from me XD

View attachment hse200.zip

If you wanna try out Korean input then you can use this productivity pack:

http://oilman.new21.net/zero/downlo...elect_arrange=name&desc=desc&no=338&filenum=1 HWP86 runs on the 200lx and inludes the CGA driver and fonts.

ALso some more hangul document viewers (Handoc, etc) for download here:

http://oilman.x-y.net/filez/200LX-APP/APP.htm

Last edited:
Thanks ! I have not received my compact flash yet so I can't try it right now, but it will be one of the firsr things I do when it arrives. I looked around on the machine but the files you found does not exist anywhere on the machine.

I finally tried to use this today, but could not get it to work. When I boot it, it tries to start lxjex but fails with "Error: User ID is not registered yet."
The com program then fails saying lxjex is not loaded.

I finally tried to use this today, but could not get it to work. When I boot it, it tries to start lxjex but fails with "Error: User ID is not registered yet."
The com program then fails saying lxjex is not loaded.

Did you put the jkit.id file in the same folder as lxjex? e.g. both files are in c:\ ?

If everything fails you can put the complete free version on your device, i uploaded free jkit here:

http://tankraider.com/hp200lx/JKITFREE.zip

That one should not need any registration at all.

Last edited:
I only copied the two other files not jkit.id I can't remember seeing it either, is it a hidden file? I tried downloading the zip on my phone now and found the jkit.id file. I'll have to copy it over when I get home. And the second link you posted hwp86 is not working for me, I only get a blank page.

Thanks for all the help :)

I only copied the two other files not jkit.id I can't remember seeing it either, is it a hidden file? I tried downloading the zip on my phone now and found the jkit.id file. I'll have to copy it over when I get home. And the second link you posted hwp86 is not working for me, I only get a blank page.

Thanks for all the help :)

Just use the FREE edition if you have any issues.

Yeah link is no longer valid for HWP 3.0...

Here is a mirror:

http://tankraider.com/hp200lx/HWP30.rar

Back