• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Compaq C140 (epson A10/11/20)

Hey,

Got the Compaq C140 in the mail the other day... works... even got it to link up to my XP laptop...

Wished I could find wince 2.0 for it, though. I found out that it and the epson listed above are the same unit, so hopefully that widens the net a little bit so I get lucky and find a copy of it.

If anyone needs it, btw, I have my HP LX320 (all 300 series) wince 2.0 pc cd rom sitting here (and the LX320 wince 1.0 rom, fwiw) from the one that got stolen from me a couple of years ago.

Thanks, Terry. I think that this little pda will do fine... Now all I gotta do is get a card with all the old games loaded up, and the other utilities...

I had a C120 and yeah, they rock! What I used for a card was a pcmcia adapter (it's a really cool feature) and a smartmedia card. My main machine never had irda but it was pretty easy to move files with the memory card and a cheap-o reader. I used to pretend to take notes during the meetings at work when I was really playing solitaire, heh heh. By the way, trademoon.com has some accessories for the Compaq's liek those.

nathan

Hey,

Got the Compaq C140 in the mail the other day... works... even got it to link up to my XP laptop...

Wished I could find wince 2.0 for it, though. I found out that it and the epson listed above are the same unit, so hopefully that widens the net a little bit so I get lucky and find a copy of it.

If anyone needs it, btw, I have my HP LX320 (all 300 series) wince 2.0 pc cd rom sitting here (and the LX320 wince 1.0 rom, fwiw) from the one that got stolen from me a couple of years ago.

Thanks, Terry. I think that this little pda will do fine... Now all I gotta do is get a card with all the old games loaded up, and the other utilities...

Ummn, AFAIK, it was built by Casio, and rebadged as Compaq, et. al., as well as thier own Casiopeia (don't recall model number). The C-120 is 2Mb, and the C-140 is the 4Mb version. I never did have any luck finding an upgrade for the system ROM, but I wish you all the best. If you get the PCMCIA/CF adaptor, I have a 32Mb card full of all the software I could find that actually works on it (not all that claim to actually do), and I'll send along a copy of it. That could save you a lot of time installing programs that just don't work (done there, been that).

--T

Last edited:
Thanks Terry, actually I have about 70 mgs worth of palmtop programs I backed up onto a cdrom when I had my hp. Maybe you have some other stuff I don't, it's all good.

I may have a 2.0 rom for it... one came up on ebay today, so I bought it... it looks right, so hopefully it works...

Then I'll try to do a set up on the wlan. Turn it into a lovely little internet appliance if I can.

Of course, with the luck I've been having with wi-fi lately, I'll be lucky to get anything going. I actually am using an old card in this laptop, that I took out of the shell, trying to find out what was wrong with it... changed channels on my hub, and suddenly it works again... of course it's a bare pc board hanging out now... kinda funny really.... but it works... now to figure out the other one (s) ...

Epson A10 A11 and A20 are the exact same. I don't know about the Casio's. I thought the A20 series was like it, but it doesn't look the same...

Still it's an SH3 pda.

Last edited:
My nephew gave me a Cassiopeia E-11 with docking cradle and all the manuals and CDs. I believe it has Wince 2.0. Except for it's record ability I'm not especially impressed. Possibly I haven't explored it enough. I picked up a 512MB CF card cause it was on sale at for only $20. Still not sure if it can even handle that much storage. I tend to prefer my Sharp PC3000 or even the Atario Portfolio for daily use (I just got a driver which enable you to use an Iomega Zip. Not set-up yet tho).

Now what does impress me is the Dauphin Orasis. I love my Dauphin DTR 1 but it's a bit bulky and the Orasis was the 3rd and last generation for this now defunct company. One came up recently on Ebay but it was out of my budget limitation. $217. Lust lust lust......................

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ultra-Rare-Daup...8805257QQihZ015QQcategoryZ39980QQcmdZViewItem

an old review is here:

http://pencomputing.com/showcase/dauphin.html

Not necessarily for a breast pocket but for that I would buy a big-pocketed jacket.

If the wince 2.0 installation I have would work for you PM me.

Lawrence

Sure glad I didn't stumble across that Dauphin listing. Already getting chewed out for spending too much money on "old sh*t".

Sure glad I didn't stumble across that Dauphin listing. Already getting chewed out for spending too much money on "old sh*t".

+1!!!!

That looks cool. I'm just waiting to see what all I can get on the epson tablet I got sitting here (well there at home... I'm "working" right now)

Thanks for the offer on the wince 2.0 installation, I have the cd for that. it's just the rom itself I am missing on the compaq. I got it coming (I'm now 98% certain... by tracking the numbers given on it), and it's pretty much an "open cover, pull old rom, install new rom, close cover, turn on" kind of thing. There are some access programs on the pc that need to be changed, but I have them on that cd and my backup cd that I wrote...

Ran my old Kyle's Quest on it, then remembered that it had limited view on 1.0, (everything likes 2.0 better... it should have been 1.0, but you all know microsloth... we are the r&d dept) anyway played it for a bit... daughter got to use it for a while, she can't wait for her birthday to "get it" now... she doesn't know about the rom upgrade, and the wireless card so she can do her messaging with it... so she has a surprise coming (heheh)

I had a sync issue with it last night that I had to sort out... finally figured out it was on the pc end, so got it smoothed out and now it works fine.

UPDATE: Got the 2.0 rom... put it in, doa. :( I wrote them an email, hopefully they will replace/refund.. hoping for replace with a good one... put the old 1.0 in and it comes back up (albeit have to reload all the stuff)

Last edited:
Back