• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Libretto 50CT: Bad PCMCIA Socket?

JeffBaiCHINA

Hi,

I have recently acquired a 50CT, was happy about it (while fixing all the cracks around the hinges and such...) until I found that the computer does not seem to boot from its original floppy disk drive (which according to their online manuals). So I tried booting up to Windows 95 (which I copied installation files on another computer), the installation went fine and found my PCMCIA socket.

However, when I inserted the original PA2612U floppy drive, the device manager only showed a "PCMCIA Card Services" in the "Unknown Devices" category. Tried using Toshiba's FDD driver from the Windows 95 Utilities package, but it doesn't seem to match up with the drive (when trying to "Update Driver" on the "PCMCIA Card Services", it returns that no suitable driver was found when pointing to the .inf file for the FDD; when trying "Add New Hardware", it installs the software but nothing happens).

P.S. I couldn't access A: in DOS either, which it should according to Toshiba.
P.P.S. I tried my Sony PCG-CD51 on it, and the same thing happened ("PCMCIA Card Services").
P.P.P.S. I can assure that config.sys and autoexec.bat are both empty so no 16-bit driver was used.

At the mean time, I'm trying to install NT to see what happens when I insert PCMCIA devices... Sorry if this post seemed like a mess, but I'm in a bit of a panic as these machines are not going for cheap at all and the seller wouldn't accept a return...

Am I missing anything here?

Best Regards,
Mingcong Bai

Have you taken it apart yet? If so, check for bent pins in the PCMCIA slot, and check for any clearly damaged ICs on the board.

Back