• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Problem with characters on Toshiba T5100 dinosaur laptop

denno

Dear all,

hope this is the right place. I have a 1987 Toshiba T5100 dinosaur laptop. I have found a floppy diskette with stuff on it but as you know longer folder names are shortened with the tilde character. Problem is that there is no Tilde character on the keyboard! I cannot create a Tilde in DOS 4.0. There is no numeric keypad, no character on the keys and the ASCII code by pressing ALT and 0126 does also not work. How the.... can I create a tilde character? I do not want to rummage around in codepages if this is avoidable.

Thanks

Dennis

You could load "KEYB" - try "KEYB BR" to set it to Brazilian which includes the tilde character. If the keyboard layout bothers you for other stuff you can disable it with CTRL+ALT+F1 and re-enable it with CTRL+ALT+F2. In DOS 4.0 it should also be possible to add KEYB to config.sys using the "INSTALL" command. There were also some TSR like "KBX" which would allow such special characters with special key combinations.

An alternate way would be to load the floppy in a Windows 95 (or later) computer and renaming any Joliet file to the 8+3 convention, like to rename "MYLONGFILENAME.TXT" to "FILE.TXT" will remove the joliet (Tilde in DOS).

Back