• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Compatible Power Jack for IBM 5140?

username1

Experienced Member
I'm looking for a power plug for my PC Convertible and I've only seen one untested on eBay. Was wondering if there were any generic alternatives and if anyone had links to where I could purchase one. I know it's 15v, 2.7amps, center positive. I don't know barrel size or anything else. If anyone had info or maybe even a tested spare I'd be incredibly grateful for any info.

Ive been searching and have yet to find one that meets all of my specifications. I do not want to vary on voltage or amps, but would there be a safe tolerance for doing so? Alternatively, if anyone has a link to the corecct power supply, it would be much appreciated.

So far I've found, in the correct dimensions:

15v, 1.5 amp
15v 2 amp
15v 3.5 amp
15v, 4 amp
15v, 5 amp

Last edited:
IBM%205140%20-%20Power%20Adapter%20Input.png

The image above is taken from the 5140 technical reference.

1. Play safe and get a regulated (i.e. voltage stable) power supply. 'Regulated' is further described at [here].

2. The "40 watts maximum" in the IBM specification is the key.
We play safe by assuming that it applies to any voltage between +10 Vdc and +16 Vdc.
- So if +15 Vdc is supplied, the maximum current drawn by the 5140 is about 2.7 amps (40W/15V). A regulated +15 Vdc power supply rated at 2.7 amps (or more) maximum is suitable.
- So if +12 Vdc is supplied, the maximum current drawn by the 5140 is about 3.4 amps (40W/12V). A regulated +12 Vdc power supply rated at 3.4 amps (or more) maximum is suitable.

Back