• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Toshiba Libretto 100CT - fresh new installation without PCMCIA Floppy?

wiston

Hi everybody,

I am new here to the forum because I need help with my new little handheld Toshiba Libretto 100CT. I bought it without HDD and now I am dealing witht he problem how to install fresh new Windows 98 on it? I have only PCMCIA CD-ROM drive but I cannot use it without drivers and I can't install drivers without floppy drive. All I have now is:
PCMCIA CD-ROM drive
Old PC's with Windows 98
Adapter for HDD's so I can move files from/to the Toshiba HDD from my Windows 10 desktop

Is there any chance that I could finish the Windows 98 installation succesfully with this equipment?

Thank you!

Since you have a Windows 98 PC, you can definitely get it configured. I've done this on multiple occasions.

1. Hook up the HDD that is going in your Libretto to a Windows 98 PC as a slave drive.

2. Partition the hard drive as a primary partition.

3. Boot into Win 98 then open a Command Prompt. Type the following command. Replace D: with the drive letter of your empty HDD.

SYS D:

4. Create a folder then copy your Windows 98 CD files to that folder.

After that, you should be able to put the HDD in the Libretto and boot to a command prompt. Change to the folder where your Win98 installation files are located then run setup.

It's been a long time since I've done this so hopefully I've remembered everything. :)

Good luck!

Heather

Please I need your help again! :) My HDD died so I did everything the same way I did before but my Libretto only says "Insert system disk and press enter". I bought IDE -> PCMCIA adapter and CompactFlash card but don't know what to do? Before I formatted the HDD in windows 98 with format D: /s command...then I used sys D: and everything worked fine. Now Libretto can't see my HDD's. I am desperate :/ Can you please help me?

Again I have laptop with windows 98 and floppy drive, IDE -> USB adapter which I use for connecting the HDD or PCMCIA card to the laptop and format it. Then I take the HDD and put it to the Libretto but as I said before...no success.

Thanks a lot!

Unfortunately I have the same problem again. My HDD that I successfully installed into the Toshiba died. So I thought that IDE -> PCMCIA adapter should be good alternative. But I am not able to format the disk properly (probably) and Toshiba only says "Insert System Disk and press any key." Do you have some tips how to solve it please?

Thank you!

Hey guys,

Sorry but I just saw the replies in this thread. In case you didn't figure it out, this sounds like a fairly common issue where you cannot boot from a CF card because the card is configured as a 'Removable Disk' as opposed to a 'Fixed Disk'. The following page gives you some information on this as well as how to change the mode of your CF card. The program that they mention can be downloaded from the second link.

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-set-a-cf-card-to-fixed-mode
http://www.floutsch.com/pub/download/ATCFWCHG.COM

Hope that works for you!

Heather

Also be sure to do a fdisk /MBR on the drive from the Windows 98 host system. This will rewrite the MBR to the drive. That plus a sys <drive>: will make it bootable. I run a CF drive on my Libretto and it works fine.

And just to verify, you’re not trying to boot the Libretto off the PCMCIA slot, right? Because that won’t work. You need to put the CF card into a CF to 2.5” adapter. In fact, you shouldn’t be using a PCMCIA to CF adapter for any part of this process. You should put the CF card into a 2.5” adapter and hook that to your Windows 98 system just like you did the first time (using a 44 to 40 pin adapter).

Back