• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Sharp PC 7000 Part II: RTC Boogaloo

MissArgent

Veteran Member
So, the past has come back to haunt me. A few months ago I -on a bit of impulse - decided to upgrade my Sharp PC 7000 from an OEM install of MS-DOS 2.11 to 3.30 on a whim. Everything superficially worked fine so i figured "Hey, it worked!" and left it at that. I also foolishly assumed that the lack of prompt for DATE and TIME on IPL meant it was setting the date and time from hardware - a MC146818 compatible RTC on the motherboard - just fine...however, I recently picked the restoration back up to finish it up and DOS is most certainly not consulting said hardware clock. I haven't the faintest what sort of software could identify it since I (once more, foolishly) only backed up the system files from the old 2.11 install that was on my HDD base. Anyone know what'd work? I've tried a few of the generic utilities on Minuszerodegrees and none of them even tell there's an RTC present at all, and no system-specific utility is available.

I've got the hardware maintenance manual, but what I/O ports is the 146818 connected to? It may be possible to find an appropriate clock driver.

Back