• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Notes on troubles with CF to IDE on HP Omnibook 800CT

Stu

I figure I'd share my experience, that it might help others trying to make sense of incomprehensible trouble in replacing their HDD with a CF card in older laptops.

In short, if CF to IDE doesn't work, just order a IDE SSD. 1.8" works and fits as a direct replacement for a 2.5" IDE HDD. If this answers your question, you don't have to read the rest of this. If you're interested, continue on.

I was working on restoring an HP OmniBook 800CT. I've decided I want to use it as my DOS through Windows 95 gaming laptop. The mechanical drive was failing, and I wanted to replace it with an IDE to CF adapter. I tried about six different CF cards and ran into all sorts of problems. Mainly, once a partition was created on the CF card, the laptop would not boot. Even from a floppy disk. It would just crash while trying to boot DOS.

I tried everything under the sun. Tried creating a 2GB partition for compatibility.
I tried several CF cards; 32GB, 16GB, 8GB, and 2GB.
Booting from a windows 95b floppy, I was able to see and partition the CF card.
Once a partition is created, you have to reboot. On reboot, the computer would crash while trying to boot dos from the floppy disk.

I did have limited success with a 2GB CF card out of an old Cisco router. It worked fine with dos 2.22, however wouldn't boot with windows 95 dos either by format /s or installed during the windows 95 setup process.

Finally, and I can't explain what went differently, I was able to get Windows 95 working on the 2GB CF card. However, the laptop still refuses to work with the larger cards.

When booting from the mechanical HDD into Windows 95, the computer was able to recognize the 32GB CF card inserted into a PCMCIA adapter, and had no trouble reading and writing from it.

Finally, my solution was to order a 32GB IDE SSD.

This is the drive I ordered:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0091SP8B8/

Yes, it is a "1.8" drive, however it fits in the same space as a regular 2.5, and the pins line up exactly, no trouble. The pin and socket connection is pretty tight, however you could stuff a small block of wood or something to make up the gap if you feel the laptop will be tossed around excessively. The screw holes on a 2.5" drive caddy will not line up, but again, I didn't find it that important. I'm probably going to put a dab of hot glue just for unnecessary certainty, and so it's easy to remove later.

I had absolutely no trouble at all installing Windows 95 on this drive and everything is working fine.

CF Cards are supposed to be totally IDE, EIDE, ATA, and UDMA, and ATA-PIO compatible. This laptop does support ATA-PIO mode 4 as per the service manual. Apparently there's something about CF cards that's not 100% completely compatible.

It should be noted that I was able to use these CF cards with an IDE adapter in my Dell Latitude CPi with no trouble, however it is a few years newer than the Omnibook. If you're wondering why I didn't pick the Latitude CPi as my dos-win95 gaming laptop, it's cause they're made out of lousy junky plastic that cracks all over the place. Even when it was new I had to replace the back plastic panel a few times cause it would just crack for no reason.

I know how you feel. I really do. I had spent so much time with these.

At first I used an old IBM PC-110 years ago. Picked some 2GB CF card, format /s and put the win95 install files on it. The PC-110 can boot from CF so booted into DOS, installed Win95, worked fine. No problems. Did pretty much the same with an old Toshiba Libretto 50 - only difference being that here I'd use the CF-to-IDE adaptor. Also went smooth.

Now i ordered a bunch of CF-to-IDE adptors, even 2 different models (That looked very similar though).

Tried in a Libretto 50 - no chance, not bootable. Huh? Tried loads of cards and combinations and i had so many weird phenomenas, my previous excellent experience seemed so unreal and i couldn't even say why. In the end i tried the cards in my other IBM PC-110 and intersting fact - the problem were really the CF cards. Most just wouldn't work - not bootable, whatever i did. I have one that would gladly boot FreeDos which works fine - but as soon as i install MS-DOS it would fail.

Seems the 2GB cards i originally used were some rare lucky pick. Now i ended up having a 32MB card that works fine with all DOS versions (Too small for Win95 though) and around 20 cards in the range from 32MB to 16GB that don't work or can only boot FreeDOS.

I wish i had noted down the manufacturer of the 2GB cards that "worked fine". I really regret having sold these along with the laptops.

My current assumption is "The older the card the higher the chances they work". Also no hard fact but a mutual feeling: "The faster the card the more unlikely it works" as I had some super highspeed Sandisk card that didn't work but it's slower counterpart could at least boot to FreeDOS. If i didn't have fmaily and really lack time I'd make a list of all cards i have and a comparison which ones work how far, but not right now.

c
My current assumption is "The older the card the higher the chances they work". Also no hard fact but a mutual feeling: "The faster the card the more unlikely it works" as I had some super highspeed Sandisk card that didn't work but it's slower counterpart could at least boot to FreeDOS. If i didn't have fmaily and really lack time I'd make a list of all cards i have and a comparison which ones work how far, but not right now.

No, CF Cards have to be put into the "fixed drive" state. 99% of them are shipped in the "plug-and play camera" mode which is incompatible with true-IDE. I know Sandisk cards I think have some kind of utility under windows that formats them in to fixed drives. LGR had a video on it in his 486 rig.

I recently designed a 68000 SBC with a bus-connected CF IDE interface and have encountered the same kind of problem with various brands of CF and my conclusion was same as yours--I wrote "The newer, faster, higher density CF is more likely to have this problem than the older, slower, and lower density ones".

After investigating the problem in depth with various brands of CF from 32MB to 4GB, I implemented 3 fixes, each incrementally reduces the magnitude of the problem. The 2nd version of my 68000 SBC incorporated these fixes and no longer has problem with CF.

The investigation is documented here. https://www.retrobrewcomputers.org/doku.php?id=boards:sbc:tiny68k:rev1_cf_problem

Back