• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Osborne Executive

Erik

Site Administrator
Staff member
I just picked up a really nice Osborne Executive that seems to be as complete as a system can get without the original box.

It has all of the manuals and original disks as well as piles of other software (including just about every programming language available then.) It even has the original owners packet with the warrantee, etc.

Overall the system is in very good to excellent condition with only a bit of yellowing.

The best part, though, is that this is a factory custom system. It was an employee purchase and has a plaque on the front with the employee's name and a custom BIOS with the employee's name showing up on the boot screen.

Very interesting! :)

I'm probably not going to be able to take pictures until this weekend but I'll post those when I can.

awesome erik!

i have an osborne 1 (the original edition) that still seems to work perfectly. all i need is some BOOT DISKS!!!! argh...

but really, you should put some pics of your executive up.

osborneexecutivecustomsw.jpg

Here's a teaser pic. The rest can be found on the page at http://www.vintage-computer.com/osborneexecutive.shtml

Cheers.

Wow, such a cool find!

Does the machine get the personalised info from the custom ROMS? Or is that software actually custom edited?

A very nice touch :)

Does the machine get the personalised info from the custom ROMS? Or is that software actually custom edited?

I couldn't tell you without doing some hacking. The software pictured says that it's a "Limited Osborne Employee" version so I'm guessing the software is designed to hit the employee ROM - but that's just a guess.

CP/M's BIOS lives on the bootdisk. The ROM only contains a small boot-loader program to begin reading the disk. Anyone with a hex editor can create thier own custom BIOS (and sometimes it even works).

--T

CP/M's BIOS lives on the bootdisk. The ROM only contains a small boot-loader program to begin reading the disk. Anyone with a hex editor can create thier own custom BIOS (and sometimes it even works).

Yes, but the startup screen that's been customized on this box shows before a disk is in the drive. That's in ROM.

Back