• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Kaypro 4 Floppy Drive Light

The Floppy Dreve LED just tells you which floppy has been selected.
If you are on the A: drive the cursor will be:

A0:>

If you change to B:
A0:>B: <ENTER>

the Drive B: LED will COME on.

I don't remember my Kaypro II beeping for a keypress, but I've got hearing loss.

Larry

Also, is it supposed to chirp with each keypress? I've never had one of these before...

Oh yeah, my Kaypro II is the same way. They all do that. Some find it annoying, but I happen to like it.

Another cool thing is that the beeper is actually in the keyboard!

Cool, thanks! I'm used to a beeping keyboard meaning "stuck key."

I was able to get the B: drive going. The drive wouldn't shut and it turns out that it was just some bubba that replaced a roll pin with a piece of wire that was blocking the arm from rotating. Also, they had the terminating resistor pack in the A: drive. Took care of those to things and the B: drive works fine except for the LED seems to be burnt out, so I'll have to replace that. Its missing some screws that I'll have to replace but that shouldn't be too bad. Other than that, I think the next challenge will be to figure out how to get some software onto it. Maybe through the serial port somehow? The other systems that have 5.25" drives that I have are all Apple, so I don't think that will be compatible.

Thanks again for the replies!

Yeah man, Kaypros beep on keypresses. Also, I've noticed the Floppy Drive lights do indeed like to stay on.
Another thing I have noticed is that in my 2X, the power supply can't handle a floppy emulator plugged in at the same time as an actual floppy drive. Shame, makes making Kaypro disks easier when it decides to work.
Kaypros were odd machines, but the fact that most of them still seem to work today is a testament.

There's a program to turn off the "keyclick." I personally find it super annoying!

I forget where I found it, or if I ended up writing a little assembly program myself to switch it off. A quick search isn't turning up any programs for it, so it's either something I found in SIG/M or the CPMUG archives, or I wrote it myself. Let us know if you can't find it, I'm sure I've still got it on disk (I was using my Kaypro II for writing ASM with VDE for a while, for fun), and I've been meaning to get my current Kaypro II up and running anyway!

Back