• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Windows CE device (Philips Velo 1) can't use ActiveSync, PcLink?

Divarin

Veteran Member
Hi. I have a Philips Velo 1 running windows CE version 1. I also have the dock and can connect it to my PC. I am trying to load data onto the velo but can't get ActiveSync to connect to it.
On the Velo, under "Communications" I see a number of apps including "terminal" and "PC Link" but not ActiveSync. I got a PDF of the user manual of this device and it says there is an "ActiveSync" app in here but for some reason there is not.

I've tried both old and newer versions of ActiveSync which I had installed on an XP machine. When I try to connect the PDA lights up and says that it's trying to connect so I know the physical connection is right (com port settings) but then on the PC a dialog comes up saying that my device is not compatible with this version of ActiveSync.

I have been able to use the Terminal app on the Velo to connect to BBSs using TcpSer on the PC but the terminal app doesn't have any upload/download capabilities so I'm not sure it would be possible to transfer data that way.

I've tried a few searches for PcLink to see if I can find windows software for that instead of ActiveSync but with such a generic name it's been re-purposed for so many different software products over the eons that it's impossible to focus in on what I'm actually looking for.

What I'd really like to do with this device is get a windows CE z-machine interpreter on it to play text adventures, something I've had running on windows ce PDAs in the past.

Any idea how I might be able to get files onto this device and/or why ActiveSync isn't working?

Also, if anyone knows where I can get an image of the CD-Rom that originally came with this device (or where I could buy a physical CD-Rom) please let me know.

Hi. I have a Philips Velo 1 running windows CE version 1. I also have the dock and can connect it to my PC. I am trying to load data onto the velo but can't get ActiveSync to connect to it.
On the Velo, under "Communications" I see a number of apps including "terminal" and "PC Link" but not ActiveSync. I got a PDF of the user manual of this device and it says there is an "ActiveSync" app in here but for some reason there is not.

I've tried both old and newer versions of ActiveSync which I had installed on an XP machine. When I try to connect the PDA lights up and says that it's trying to connect so I know the physical connection is right (com port settings) but then on the PC a dialog comes up saying that my device is not compatible with this version of ActiveSync.

I have been able to use the Terminal app on the Velo to connect to BBSs using TcpSer on the PC but the terminal app doesn't have any upload/download capabilities so I'm not sure it would be possible to transfer data that way.

I've tried a few searches for PcLink to see if I can find windows software for that instead of ActiveSync but with such a generic name it's been re-purposed for so many different software products over the eons that it's impossible to focus in on what I'm actually looking for.

What I'd really like to do with this device is get a windows CE z-machine interpreter on it to play text adventures, something I've had running on windows ce PDAs in the past.

Any idea how I might be able to get files onto this device and/or why ActiveSync isn't working?

Also, if anyone knows where I can get an image of the CD-Rom that originally came with this device (or where I could buy a physical CD-Rom) please let me know.

Check your version of Activesync as it may not be compatible with Windows CE 1.

For comparison in ActiveSync 4.5:

[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]Supported Operating System[/FONT]
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]Windows 2000 Service Pack 4, Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1, Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 for Itanium-based Systems, Windows Server 2003, Standard x64 Edition, Windows XP Media Center Edition, Windows XP Professional x64 Edition , Windows XP Service Pack 1, Windows XP Service Pack 2, Windows XP Tablet PC Edition[/FONT]

• • Microsoft® Outlook® 2000, Microsoft® Outlook® XP, or Microsoft® Outlook® 2003 messaging and collaboration clients required for synchronization to the desktop or portable computer of e-mail, calendar, contacts, tasks, and notes. (Outlook 2003 is recommended)
    • Microsoft® Office 2000, Microsoft® Office XP or Microsoft® Office 2003
    • Microsoft® Internet Explorer 6.0 or later (required)
    • Microsoft® Systems Management Server 2.0

The following mobile device operating systems are supported by ActiveSync 4.2:
    • Microsoft® Windows Mobile® 5.0
    • Messaging and Security Feature Pack for Microsoft® Windows Mobile® 5.0
    • Microsoft® Windows Mobile® 2003 Second Edition
    • Microsoft® Windows Mobile® 2003
    • Microsoft® Pocket PC 2002, Microsoft® Windows® CE OS version 3.0
    • Microsoft® Smartphone 2002, Microsoft® Windows® CE OS version 3.0

As you can see, ActiveSync 4.5 only supports back to Windows CE 3.0.
Use this for a reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ActiveSync

Check your version of Activesync as it may not be compatible with Windows CE 1.

For comparison in ActiveSync 4.5:

[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]Supported Operating System[/FONT]
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]Windows 2000 Service Pack 4, Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1, Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 for Itanium-based Systems, Windows Server 2003, Standard x64 Edition, Windows XP Media Center Edition, Windows XP Professional x64 Edition , Windows XP Service Pack 1, Windows XP Service Pack 2, Windows XP Tablet PC Edition[/FONT]

• • Microsoft® Outlook® 2000, Microsoft® Outlook® XP, or Microsoft® Outlook® 2003 messaging and collaboration clients required for synchronization to the desktop or portable computer of e-mail, calendar, contacts, tasks, and notes. (Outlook 2003 is recommended)
    • Microsoft® Office 2000, Microsoft® Office XP or Microsoft® Office 2003
    • Microsoft® Internet Explorer 6.0 or later (required)
    • Microsoft® Systems Management Server 2.0

The following mobile device operating systems are supported by ActiveSync 4.2:
    • Microsoft® Windows Mobile® 5.0
    • Messaging and Security Feature Pack for Microsoft® Windows Mobile® 5.0
    • Microsoft® Windows Mobile® 2003 Second Edition
    • Microsoft® Windows Mobile® 2003
    • Microsoft® Pocket PC 2002, Microsoft® Windows® CE OS version 3.0
    • Microsoft® Smartphone 2002, Microsoft® Windows® CE OS version 3.0

As you can see, ActiveSync 4.5 only supports back to Windows CE 3.0.
Use this for a reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ActiveSync

Yeah I thought the same thing. I uninstalled 4.5 and found 3.0 on oldversion.com but it had the same issue. I don't know if an even older version is available or where.

Yeah I thought the same thing. I uninstalled 4.5 and found 3.0 on oldversion.com but it had the same issue. I don't know if an even older version is available or where.

I spent some time searching and the best that I could come up with was 3.0. You may want to search out on some of PDA forums as someone might have 1.0 squirreled away.

I assume you're using Google Search which I don't find very helpful; have you tried other search engines which don't try to out-think you? Various search terms including WindowsCE and PCLink give non-vendor-specific results that look useful to me. But perhaps you've read them already.

Like this: https://www.hpcfactor.com/support/syncsoft/hpcexplorer/

I assume you're using Google Search which I don't find very helpful; have you tried other search engines which don't try to out-think you? Various search terms including WindowsCE and PCLink give non-vendor-specific results that look useful to me. But perhaps you've read them already.

Like this: https://www.hpcfactor.com/support/syncsoft/hpcexplorer/

I find Google to be adequate for most searches. The "hpfactor" site still doesn't provide a download for ActiveSync 1.0 that I could find. I believe it will take a PDA user site to find it.

It purports to be a user site. I didn't read enough to verify this. But the page I linked to discusses the software that appears to work with PCLink.

Actually I already found it and I'm up and running. I replied already but I don't see my reply maybe the admins of this forum didn't like the link I included. The the wikipedia page (from Agent Orange's original reply) indicates that ActiveSync was called H/PC Explorer early on so knowing that I set out to find an early enough version that would support CE 1.0 and found H/PC Explorer 1.1 still floating around. The link wasn't on hpcfactor and didn't require a paid subscription to be able to download. I'd give the link but ... you know...

It purports to be a user site. I didn't read enough to verify this. But the page I linked to discusses the software that appears to work with PCLink.

True, that may work but he needs ActiveSync 1.0. His PDA is very old and dates back to @ 1997. It came with Windows CE 1.0 and could be upgradable to Windows CE 2.0 via the ROM. ActiveSync is inclusive to a specified range of Window CE releases. FWIW, I been dealing with PDA's since my first Casio @ 2000. Never cared for or got into the Palm Pilot arena, but plenty people did.

I had (have somewhere) a device running WindowsCE which I acquired used in 1998 or 9. It always seemed anti-productive to me. I seem to recall having a lot of grief at the time trying to get it to sync to a desktop computer.

PalmOS on the other hand, I found very useful. I got a Treo 90 in 2002. The only reason I stopped using it is that I don't need to be carrying around two pocket computers. I find that it still works all-round better than iOS and Android though.

Back