• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Zenith Z171, Morrow Pivot II, Osborne Encore - need service manual!

Twospruces

Veteran Member
Hi Folks,
I recently picked up a working Zenith Z-171 aka ZFL-171 aka Morrow Pivot II aka Osborne Encore.

I'm not having any luck finding a schematic or service manual.

I did find a pay site that claims to have Zenith Z170 PCSeries Service Guide.

Does anyone know of a site that has a schematic for any of these machines available for download?

thanks in advance.

Hey thank you very much! That is the document I had found traces of but never the original. Much appreciated. Too bad no schematics... maybe this are lost to time.

I have a small mystery.... the ram backup battery in this thing is .arked MMB-3.6B Motorola. I assume this is a 3.6v nicad. Was hoping it would be listed somewhere as a serviceable part but it's not in the manual. At least I didnt see it.

Hey Thanks very much. this is the exact file I was looking for. Much appreciated!!! The document lists a reference for the schematics; maybe they are lost to time who knows. Anyhow, up and running now. Had to replace an oddball Nicad marked MMB-3.6B Motorola. At least I think it was a nicad. hard to tell with no schematic.

For some reason my posts are not showing up.
Thank you very much for the help. Very useful.

Ah there they are. Here is my first Z-171 project - adding a CF card via the system (ISA) bus.

Capture.jpg

This card replicates the Lo-tech design (thanks! creds!) but in a form factor that I think is good for the Z-171. Hopefully it will work exactly the same.

Sure. I ordered 2 boards. Let me prove I can get one working ;). I'll report progress here. Cheers.

I'm on revision 2 of this PCB. I should have that assembled and working soon.
Let me know if you want one.

What I will do, is take some photos of the finished board, both on the bench and installed in the Z171.
Software wise, the solution isnt perfect but it is pretty good.
Maybe over time with some effort the minor issues with XUB can get resolved.

I'll post the updates in the Z-171 XT-CF thread.

Hi Folks,
I recently picked up a working Zenith Z-171 aka ZFL-171 aka Morrow Pivot II aka Osborne Encore.

I'm not having any luck finding a schematic or service manual.

I did find a pay site that claims to have Zenith Z170 PCSeries Service Guide.

Does anyone know of a site that has a schematic for any of these machines available for download?

thanks in advance.
Hey guess what!!
The service manual came up on ebay and I won it!

Looking forward to preserving this info.

Back