• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Plug a 40-pin (male) CF to IDE adapter in a 44-pin IDE laptop

maferv

Experienced Member
Hello fellow vintage computer enthusiasts,

I can buy a CF to IDE adapter for regular computers (40-pin) for a good price, but I have a couple of laptops from the late 90s that have a 44-pin female IDE port.

My question is, is it possible to create an adapter and use one of these CF-IDE 40-pin adapters in any of my old Toshiba Tecra notebooks?

I think that it should be doable, right? has anybody of you ever done something like this?

Any help and suggestions would be appreciated!

The 2.5" IDE HD 44-pin interface is the 3.5" IDE HD 40-pin interface plus 4-way power. An adapter like one of these shows what may be needed.

Hey thanks for such prompt replies!

The 2.5" IDE HD 44-pin interface is the 3.5" IDE HD 40-pin interface plus 4-way power. An adapter like one of these shows what may be needed.

That looks just like what I need.

Direct-plug 44 pin CF adapters for laptops are trivially cheap and easy to find, why not just use one?

Unfortunately international shipping is not an option for me, and locally I can't find such an adapter.

I have many 40-pin IDE cables laying around available to create the adapter.

If there's some important consideration, guide or tutorial available please share it.

I found this information which may be very useful.

qEPth.gif

Essentially it says that the first 40 pins match exactly the same layout as the regular IDE 40 pins, if I understood it correctly.

But I don't understand why it underlines the intertwining of pins 1-2 and 43-44.

oU9rr.jpg

While no issue on an electrical level (pins are the same + power), it won't fit into the hard disk bay of an notebook. Due to the larger spacing of the pins, it's simply to wide and you would need additional space for the adapter to 44-pins as well.

Just try to get the correct CF adapter made for notebooks.

Unfortunately international shipping is not an option for me, and locally I can't find such an adapter.

I would happily post you a couple but can anything be posted to Argentina?
The Royal Mail website says no "plastic items" which is weird but then refers to the local site and whilst I speak a little Spanish I don't fancy fighting my way through the Correo Argentino web site to check.
If I can post you things PM me and I will send you a couple.

I would happily post you a couple but can anything be posted to Argentina?
The Royal Mail website says no "plastic items" which is weird but then refers to the local site and whilst I speak a little Spanish I don't fancy fighting my way through the Correo Argentino web site to check.
If I can post you things PM me and I will send you a couple.

I just sent you a PM!

Back