• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Old Laptop PSU Voltage Question (Epson Actionnote 500c)

DamienC

Experienced Member
I picked up a cheap Epson Actionnote 500c on eBay without a PSU. System wants 15.5VDC and 2.4A. Original PSU part number is AP-3S25. Couldn't find an original one anywhere online.

Did some searching for a replacement power supply and all over the internet there was a cheap one listed as a direct replacement for this exact model laptop (listed as model PSA-4645C), but the numbers are different enough that I'm reluctant to power it on with this supply. The 3rd party replacement outputs 16.5VDC and 1.8A.

I'm not so much concerned about the current as I am the voltage. In my head I'm thinking one volt isn't too much of an issue but at the same time I've heard stories about people ruining laptop motherboards with less.

Anyone have any thoughts about this?

It's actually vice-versa. It will most likely even take 19V with no issues, as the voltages are regulated down to 5V and 12V inside the unit anyway. Only the battery may see the full voltage of the PSU.

But the current is an issue. You can always use a PSU that provides more current than the original one (the unit will not draw more), but not one with less. It may overheat and - if it's some cheap crap from China - even catch fire.

It's actually vice-versa. It will most likely even take 19V with no issues, as the voltages are regulated down to 5V and 12V inside the unit anyway. Only the battery may see the full voltage of the PSU.

But the current is an issue. You can always use a PSU that provides more current than the original one (the unit will not draw more), but not one with less. It may overheat and - if it's some cheap crap from China - even catch fire.

Well nuts.

Unfortunately it's got a fairly uncommon connector (Kycon KPPX-4P) so replacements aren't easily found, but Mouser sells that connector so I suppose I could find a universal laptop AC adapter with the proper output and then cut the ends and do some soldering.

I just don't get why this replacement is all over the internet and marketed as a direct replacement when the numbers are clearly way off.

You may get away with 1.8A instead of 2.4A when not putting full load on the PSU, e.g. by not inserting the battery. Charging the battery draws a good amount of current.

I guess it's a moot point... I just got home and the adapter has the wrong connector. Guess I'm getting a universal adapter and some Kycon connectors and making my own. :(

So much for being sold as a replacement. *lol*

Sometimes you get the feeling that sellers just add some random brands and model names to their stuff for it to get sold...

Back