• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

External 720kb floppy drive on IBM 5160 XT

Divarin

Veteran Member
Hi all. I have an IBM 5160 XT. I recently picked up an IBM external floppy drive (720kb, 3 1/2") which connects to the floppy drive controller card via the pin connector on the card:
2eafbc372bee28940.jpg
I was unable to access it and I'm wondering if there's some setting I need to change, maybe add a jumper to the controller card?
I read through the manual for this computer and it did mention that dip switches 7 & 8 control the number of floppy drives but specifically the 5 1/4" floppy drives. I tried changing the dip switch settings to two drives anyway (switch 7 off, 8 on) but this did not let me access the drive. It did prevent dos from switching my existing 5 1/4" 360k internal floppy drive from A: to B: (as it does when you have one drive and you enter "B:") but there was no signs of activity on the external drive.

Also, I would like to open this up to clean the heads and lubricate the rails but don't see any screws? I assume there's some kind of clips that need to be ... un-clipped? But if anyone has any experience with these drives before I go smashing it and causing all kinds of cosmetic damage to the casing can you please enlighten me?

Where is your power supply for the drive? The 5160 floppy controller doesn't supply power.

Hmm okay that would be a problem. The drive doesn't have any other connections on it besides the one cable so I assumed the power would go through that.

Probably. There were brackets with a 34 pin header and 4-pin Molex inside and a DC37F on the outside. The idea is that you'd daisy-chain the internal floppy connector to it, which would then supply power. Some third-part FDC cards, such as the Sysgen Omnibridge and the Micro Solutions Compaticard were equipped with jumpers to supply power.

I think that this may be a PS/2 device, however--and you're missing the bracket that provides power and floppy support.

That doesn't mean that you can't use it on your XT, so long as you figure out a way to get power to it.

Probably. There were brackets with a 34 pin header and 4-pin Molex inside and a DC37F on the outside. The idea is that you'd daisy-chain the internal floppy connector to it, which would then supply power. Some third-part FDC cards, such as the Sysgen Omnibridge and the Micro Solutions Compaticard were equipped with jumpers to supply power.

I think that this may be a PS/2 device, however--and you're missing the bracket that provides power and floppy support.

That doesn't mean that you can't use it on your XT, so long as you figure out a way to get power to it.

Yeah looks like I'll have to open it up and see how to do that.

I recently went through this. On the DC-37 power pins are as follows:

1: +12V
2: 12V return
3: 5V return
4: +5V

If you want to make your 4865 "IBM original" you can add a pigtail to the DC shell using a 4-pin AMP Mate-N-Lok connector.
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/te-connectivity-amp-connectors/172338-1/744764

That was the only difference between the XT and AT versions of this floppy drive. I did it by depinning the 4 power pins from the D-sub, stripping a bit of insulation, soldering on 4 conductors, heat shrinking them, and re-inserting the pins back into the DC-37. Then run your 4 wires out the back of the shell and crimp on the contacts for the mate-n-lok. The pinout is available here:
http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?21470-Guide-4865-external-720k-drive-on-a-5160&p=147871#post147871

Back