• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Before I destroy this thing...

hunterjwizzard

Veteran Member
So I have this old Grid laptop. Its a model 1755. I got it at a thrift store decades ago and have hung on to it because I liked the shape. Lately, I've been toying with ripping out it's guts and replacing it with a rassbery pi.

However, before I do that, I thought I should probably check and see if this is something rare or sought-after by collectors. I don't see any of this model listed on eBay but that could just mean its hot garbage. Don't really know.

I lost the power cord years ago and it's missing the cover to the left hinge. Other than that, it booted the last time I checked(...which was years ago) and is in otherwise ok condition. Is this something I should be finding a home for, or can I proceed with my pi-in-the-sky dreams?

LOL, you are on a vintage computer forum asking if it's ok to destroy a vintage computer. Are you mad!? :) All kidding aside throw it up on eBay if you are concerned about its value and/or if a collector should have this in their hands. My opinion, do what makes you happy. I've been known to carve up classics from time to time to create fun projects.

Don't know anything about them personally, but there is an entire grid subforum here. They were quite expensive when new, I'd imagine they would sell for a good bit on ebay

Is this a genuine question or is this a hostage situation? Do we need to send in a GRiD negotiator? :D

If you want just the case, what about testing if it still works, carefully removing the internals, and offering them up in the GRiD forum with the information about whether they still all worked or not, on a charge or adopter pays for shipping basis?

Do others agree that, even though it is somewhat sacrilegious to tear down a working vintage computer, there are usually more cases in existence than fully working vintage computers of a model and sometimes the components of one computer can restore a couple other computers?

Is this a genuine question or is this a hostage situation? Do we need to send in a GRiD negotiator? :D

Lol honest genuine question :p I know with this vintage stuff some of it is so common no one cares and some of it super crazy rare. I'll check in the GRiD subforum before I do anything.

Grid laptops are usually fairly sought after. This is a later 486 model, so probably not worth an absurd amount of money. At a glance, I don't see any of this model that have sold on eBeh lately.

At any rate, internal keyboard and video interfaces on typical 486 laptops were often proprietary, so you would not likely have much luck putting some other device inside of it.

The plan was to replace the proprietary screen with a new full color one. Its fairly easy to build a keyboard interface. But the plans for turning it into a pitop are on hold. I'm now considering simply restoring it for myself.

imo, GRiDs deserve to be preserved, unless it's just completely junked/dead. Any pics of your particular unit?

Back