• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

ADDS Envoy and Hawaii Five 0 - Maybe first portable terminal on tv?

WaveMan

If people are interested in viewing what may be the first ever portable computer or data terminal on a tv show, check out the episode of Hawaii Five O called the "Computer Killer." As an electrical engineer, I was amazed when I first saw this episode in 2004 on KDOC tv here in SoCal. Waited a while and and just ran home for a late lunch to catch it yesterday on KDOC.

I don't want to go through the premise of the show, but a "computer consultant" apparently uses what I learned is an ADDS Envoy and an early mobile car phone to gain access to various Hawaii State agencies, like the DMV. He uses the acoustic coupler with the phone and seems the data rate is slow (I assume fast in early 70's!), as you can see the info crawl across the Envoy's screen at annoyingly slow rate. I checked out this episode on IMDB, and it was shot in 1974 and aired in early '75. He also has some vintage dumb terminal in his office that he uses to hack into the mainframes of state and gov't agencies.

I was intrigued very much by this episode, as I was fourteen when the movie Wargames came out, and this predates it by almost a decade and touches on
computer hacking and privacy. Seems even the travel agency/airlines aren't secure as he apparently hacks their computers. Thematically, computers are presented in many scenes.

Can the gentlemen who was a co-founder of ADDS elaborate a bit on the ADDS Envoy and when it was released? About ADDS? Hard to find anything on the web ont his unit...

Back