Announcement

Collapse

Forum etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

"PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Osborne 1 troubleshooting - Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Osborne 1 troubleshooting - Help!

I'd like to try to fix my Osborne 1, but I need some ideas of where to start. One or two ppl on this forum made a few suggestions as to what the problem might be when I first mentioned this a few months ago, but I'm hoping to get a little more information with this post.

Basically, the machine won't boot. All I get is a screenful of garbage characters. Sometimes a colum or two of these will be oscollating between 2 different characters. Pressing reset either does nothing or sometimes causes the B (not the A) drive to come on momentarily??

I've scoured the Internet for help but to no avail. I've downloaded the service and technical manuals which are a help with disassembly and schematics, but what I really need is a troubleshooting guide, or as least a pointer as to where I should start looking. What would cause this kind of symptom (I'm guessing lots of things but I'm hoping that's not so). RAM? The PSU? The Z80 chip? What?

Does anyone have any ideas, or know of a troubleshooting guide which describes the above condition?

Some more info.....

This machine hadn't been powered up for years. When I first turned it on, the computer showed the garbage characters. Hmmm.. I turned it off, waited a few seconds, then turned it on again. It then started normally (No garbage). "Whew!" thought I! Prematurely it turns out because after about 2 minutes the computer blew some capacitors in the power suppy (magic smoke and all that)!

I replaced the capacitors but now it doesn't go at all? The machine worked for about 3 seconds after I replaced the chips (the OSBORNE Splash Screen appeared), then the screen suddenly showed these garbage characters (Drives also started randomly spinning). They have been with me ever since!

I'm confident they are the right type of replacement capacitors. They are just RF filters so I wouldn't have expected them to damage any other components when they blew. However my hamfisted attemps at repairing the power suppy may have. But on the other hand, it showed this symptom the very first time I booted?

Any thoughts would be most welcome.
    Last edited by tezza; January 26, 2008, 10:19 AM.
    ------------------------------------------------
    My vintage collection: https://classic-computers.org.nz/collection/
    My vintage activities blog: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/
    Twitter: @classiccomputNZ ; YouTube Videos: (click here)

Now I am no expert on the Osbourne. In fact, I have never seen one let alone used one. Garbage characters? Sounds like you have a bad RAM chip or two. Maybe a bad character generator? As for the power supply, does it use a standard ATX supply?

--Ryan
    Come to the dark side...we have cookies.
    Wanted: Somebody to buy alot of my stuff
    AT&T PC 6300 site

Comment

I'm with the RAM fault too, I had the same fault on my ozzie 1.

First of all checked the roms, they checksummed ok, swapped the processor because it was socketed too, again no difference, and thought "common point on all this is the 6821" I had a couple & replaced it, but no different there either.

I Didn't have any spare ram so couldn't check that, but at the time I never thought about checking the ram with my finger, which does appear to be the first thing I should have done. You have to be careful you don't end up with "d11A" branded on the end of your finger when you find the faulty one though!

If none are running hot, you can piggy back fresh 4116s on the top of the original ones (no solder required) one or 2 at a time, and see if the fault goes away.
      "Don't it always seem to go
      That you don't know what you’ve got ‘til it’s gone" (BANG )

Comment

Hi,

I found the following service manual which may be of use to you in fixing your Osborne.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...53217764,d.dmg

Comment

Working...
        X