• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Connecting a Mac 512Ke to a non-Apple printer

djfitzgerald

Experienced Member
I just acquired a Mac 512Ke, and would like to connect it to the printer on my workbench. But my workbench printer is an IBM/Lexmark, and I forgot that old Macs used a different connection and typlically Apple ImageWriter printers. Is there any way to connect a non-Apple printer to a 68k Mac?

Early Macintosh system software only supports the ImageWriter out of the box, so you need the real deal or an emulator. You would need something like the Orange Micro Grappler 9-pin and a properly wired adapter (DB-9 to MiniDIN 8 since the Grappler was made for later Macs). It provides a serial-to-parallel adapter and it converts ImageWriter escape sequences to Epson FX compatible ones on the fly.

https://generalphiles.com/files/Orange Micro/Grappler for Macintosh.pdf

There were also 3rd party drivers for PC printers (Epson, Oki, IBM, HP, etc.) They usually came bundled with a serial-to-parallel cable (or could be used via SCSI or Serial if the printer supported it.) I searched on Macintosh Garden but couldn't find it. I have a couple software packages at home, but I don't recall what they're called. I'd have to hunt around for it.

Unfortunately, the software I have only supports the following:

Epson FX
Epson LQ
NEC Pinwriter
HP ThinkJet
Diconix 150 Plus
Toshiba P351

I'm fairly certain I have a second set of software that supports additional printers, but it'll take me more time to go through my stuff and find it.

The name of one of the driver packs with the cable is "PowerPrint" by GDT Softworks. Thing is it requires a Mac Plus with 2MB of RAM and System 6. A 512ke is much more limited in what it can run.

Oh, njroadfan is correct. That was the one I was referring to.

However, I found my second disk, but no cable. It's called "Granny Smith Connection Parallel Print Disk" by Zap Logic Corporation. It's a 400K disk and I think pre-System 6 system files. It has drivers (I think) for:

Apple DMP
Apple ImageWriter
Star PowerType
Epson MX-100
Epson FX-80
Citoh F10
Brother HR
Comrex CR
IBM Quiet
IBM Wheel
Juki 6300
Olympio RO
Epson RX-80
Epson RX-100
Epson MX-80
Epson FX-100
Star Gemini
Qume

Generally speaking, if you're trying to print to any non-Apple laser printer, so long as it supports PostScript, you can print to it using a generic PostScript driver. However, it's unlikely the printer supports AppleTalk (otherwise it'd also likely have drivers) so you'll also have the issue of getting your Mac onto a TCP/IP network, which will require a network bridge that supports MacIP.

Back