• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Stylewriter II repair issue

Lee Kolb

My Stylewriter II abruptly stopped working -- it claims that I am out of paper no matter how much is in the paper feed. I have taken the case off but cannot figure what the mechanism is for detecting paper in the feeder. Can someone help me on this?

There's usually something like a plastic lever that detects the paper that breaks off to cause a paper sensing issue. Try picking up the printer and shaking it lightly while listening for rattling. If you hear anything, it's probably the plastic bit that broke off the sensor.

I've had to repair a few printers with this issue, and I've had luck with just supergluing the broken piece back on. If you can't find it, you can try building up the broken piece with alternating layers of super glue and baking soda and then filing it into shape.

Thank you for trying to help. The only plastic lever I could find is one that adjusts the input for printing envelopes, and it was intact. While searching for the lever, I discovered that the machine is opening, and leaving open, the spring loaded back of the input tray during the routine it goes through in preparation for printing. I manually closed it and thought I had found the problem. But when I do that, instead of telling me I'm out of paper, it tells me the paper is the wrong size. So I still have a problem and I'm still working on it.

Very annoying. Hopefully you don't end up having to take the entire printer apart to get to whatever mechanism tells the printer the paper status. Apple didn't actually make the StyleWriter II, or most any printer they released. The StyleWriter was a Canon design and Apple slapped an exterior and their name on it.

I used to have a StyleWriter II back in the 90s, it was a nice printer for the time I had it, but it being B&W only left a lot to be desired. I currently have a Color StyleWriter and a LaserWriter 300, but I haven't used either in well over a decade and I'm sure they both have problems now that'd prevent them from working. The Color Stylewriter especially with the ink cartridge has likely long gone bad.

Back