• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Macintosh SE FDHD can't mount initialized disk drive

belzrebuth

Hi all,
I've got a Macintosh SE FDHD with a non functioning SCSI drive and replaced it with another drive I had in my spares box.
It's a 250MB Quantum Pro Drive LPS and has an Apple logo on it.

It looks indentical to this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hard-Drive...TB25S025-04-E-S590A-270S-/200951081229?_ul=IN

I don't know where I got this drive came from but I got recognised by the computer as soon as I connected it.

I got a SCSI icon (?) on the desktop with the name of drive.
I didn't try to access its contents but went straight to HD setup.
It is reported to have SCSI ID :0 while the original hard drive had a SCSI ID of "2".
I'm booting system 6.08 from a floppy disk BTW.

The disk passes the "test" routine and I can also "update" its driver.
If I try to initialize the disk the procedure seems to go smooth until after the name volume window appears on the screen.
I don't have a cable for my keyboard unfortunately so I click "untitled" as the name of disk and then I get a window reporting that it can't mount the volume.

I think the drive is good since it seems to pass the test and manages to initialize up to the point of naming it but I have no idea why the system can't mount the drive.
Should I change its ID or whatever?
I thought about changing the name might work but I don't have a keyboard cable (yet) so no keyboard.

Any ideas on what might be wrong?

All I want is to install the system to a hard drive in order to not have to boot from floppy each time.

To answer my own question.
There is a jumper marked "PO" on the back of the drive.
Upon removing this jumper I was able to mount the disk and install the system 6.08 on it.!

Back