• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Sony CR-43 Power supply only putting out 8.5V on both the 5v and 12v rails.

VERAULT

Veteran Member
I was given a 20SC external SCSI hard drive. I was told it was "DEAD". Sure seemed that way when I got it. I opened up the case and gave power to the hard drive directly and the drive is fine and still bootable. I thought I woudl tackle the Sony CR-43 PSU inside of it toda. IT was grimey and gross so I cleaned it and did a recap. Basically all I get now is 8.5V on both the 5V and 12V rails.

Ideas?

I don't know that PSU, so I'll assume it's a switcher and not linear. I'd start looking for broken traces and cracked solder joints assuming you replaced all the cap's with good ones. I won't spend a lot of time or money on it.

You can buy cheap dual voltage bricks for just a few bucks. I don't have a link handy, but I bought an AC brick type for testing floppies with the correct connector for under $10. Or go with a Meanwell for a better solution.

Wouldnt you know it I noticed something on the floor this morning. It was an isolation pad. It must have fallen out and I didnt see it. It goes between the voltage regulators and the chassis case. meaning they were grounding out. I installed the pad back in and now I get 12.1v and 5.0v under load. Guess the recap fixed it after all. Ahh the little things.

Yes! Thanks, Verault. Ugly, no cover, rusty ... but it spun up... until I cleaned it. I was getting +6.1 on both the +5 and +12 output. The insulation pad had slipped under the circuit board when I reassembled. Thanks for the inadvertent guidance. Works FB, now.

Back