• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

How to turn on a Quadra 950?

Raven

Veteran Member
I have a Quadra 950 - I diagnosed it as dead (PSU likely), but seeing as I'm new to Classic Macs I could well be wrong. This particular machine confuses me, as it's one of the Macs with no clear power switch. I tried hitting the power button on the keyboard, tried the two odd buttons labelled what look like play and record on the back of many of this era's Macs, and nothing did anything. I don't recall if this one had one of those little lock switches, but if it did I played with that too. It has a keyhole on the front with power markings but no key, it was already in the on "|" position, and I found that I could turn the keyslot with my fingernail, so I tried all kinds of positions on it (fail lock!).

Ideas?

Last edited:
I believe those two buttons are the reset and programmers switch buttons. The keyhole is what turns the system on but you need an actual key for it.

Any tricks to get around having a key? Perhaps if I open the case and rewire the switch, or some sort of item in the keyhole to act as a key?

The key is only used to keep the unit off, neutral position where the start button on the front or keyboard on button turns it on, or the third position that disables the keyboard and mouse (server mode).

You can jumper the motherboard where the lock cable goes to to bypass it. While 950 power supplies can die, they are probably the best built and most reliable Apple 68K power supply made. I suggest you try to disable the keylock (I asume you do not have the key) and see if it works.

Off hand I don't recall which combination works but there are only 4 or 6 pins I think so it can't be that hard to figure out.

You know, the title of this thread had me tempted to suggest dinner at a fancy restaurant, later at your place, soft music and dim lights...

But I won't. :)

Got it to turn on today - dunno what I did wrong the other day but with the key hole aligned to "|" and hitting the power button, it just worked. Perhaps I was tired and didn't have a keyboard attached or who-knows-what the other day, but it works now. No OS on it at the moment though, apparently - no worries though. :)

The key is only used to keep the unit off, neutral position where the start button on the front or keyboard on button turns it on, or the third position that disables the keyboard and mouse (server mode).

You can jumper the motherboard where the lock cable goes to to bypass it. While 950 power supplies can die, they are probably the best built and most reliable Apple 68K power supply made. I suggest you try to disable the keylock (I asume you do not have the key) and see if it works.

Off hand I don't recall which combination works but there are only 4 or 6 pins I think so it can't be that hard to figure out.

So I just came across this wonderful forum. I'm from Argentina, I've had many computers since my childhood and yesterday I found dropped in the street a Quadra 950, with it's monitor but without keyboard. I managed to switch it on , (I didn't know it had a power button on it's keyboard). So I swtiched the key and it automatically turned on. plugged the monitor and no image. So I thought well monitor crt tube might be dead. I opened it and inspected the screen on the flyback adjusted and had still power and brightness. So didn't think monitor could be bad.
At the same time what called my attention was once I disconnected the DB15 video connector machine initialized made the chime sound.. seemed it booted into the system and made another melody. So my question is , I want to try with another monitor.. something might be wrong.. I inspected inside all simms for bad contacts. I checked the lithium battery has no voltage.
Then as I'm myself a repair technician on cellphones and microsolderign. I thought about making a cable for PC monitor. I checked some of the schematics.. but still had no image.. but again what calls my attention is eveytime I unplug db15 I hear the chime noise.. I know from information I read this is really finicky about sensing the monitor data.. but I assume it has something to do with it. I don't have a deep knowledge about quadras so that's why I'm posting in here for help. I don't have the machine original keyboard. , might I replace with a pc keyboard? also pc mouse.. ?
Thanks so much

Back