• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Macintosh 68k Disk formats

Chromedome45

Veteran Member
Ok as far as I know the Compact Macs supported 2 floppy formats. MFS and HFS. MFS was used on the original and Fat Mac up until sys 3 if I am correct. My question is can I use an SE/30 to format a 400k disk using sys 7.5? I know my original will obviously but I need to extract some 400k disk images and wanted to know what is the best way to do it? Reason is I found sys 1.0 with Mac Paint that I want to make a disk of. Any help apprciated. :)

Last edited:
Well, MFS and HFS are the filesystems. The physical disk format is another issue; I don't recall seeing the "Single Sided"/"Double Sided" prompt after System 6...

Disk Copy 4.2 will let you make 400k images with ease.. I backed up all my originals for my 128k.. Made duplicates in DiskCopy 4.2

If you hold Command (IIRC) when you insert a non-HD disk, it will ask if you want it formatted as single or double-sided, and if you pick single, it will use MFS.

Ok tried DART, Disk copy 6.3 and 4.2 no luck. When going to the file open box nothing shows up in the folder I selected. No files nothing. However finder shows the files. So I'm a little confused here. BTW AF that trick does work in sys 6.0.8.

If nothing is perceiving the files but the Finder, it's probably a file-type issue. Do they have a disk-image kind of icon, or just a generic "document" icon? You can use ResEdit or one of the assorted "file-typer" extensions out there to set their type code correctly.

Back