• Not really.

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • No.

Votes: 7 24.1%

• Total voters

Se87

Experienced Member
Hello all!

I am so glad to have found you, there are no computer collector(s) in my area whatsoever that I know of! I personally hate replicas of things, but when the item is too expensive (In the thousands) I would build the closest thing. I have always liked the Lisa since I first layed eyes on one. I like the Lisa 1 because it is much more interesting than the Lisa 2 but it is in orbit compared to my spending money. The reason I want to build a replica is:
  • Too expensive.
  • Apple Dealer
What Apple dealer means is that in my area there is a place that worked on all the Apple computers way back when they started in 1980. I figured bringing in a Lisa 1 would make them remember the earlier days. There are a few questions I have about building one though:
  1. How did Apple create the casing? Just some plastic molds would do? I could carve out all the panels in styrofoam then make a mold and etc?
  2. How could I achieve the rough texture apple cases are made of? I heard (May be a rumor) that the original Apple ][ cases were messed up and they went over them with sandpaper to fix them.
  3. (Finally) Is any Lisa owner generous enough to post pictures of the metal frame under the plastic?

That just about sums it up. I could get any problem from there and if I couldn't I would pst it on here. I am looking forward to see the look on their faces when I walk in there with it. I may use some of my junk to make a LCD for the screen so you could say it "works".

Thanks to all and please share your ideas!

Useful Information
  1. Apple Lisa 1 Case Patent ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/documentation/applelisa/AppleLisa-PatentCaseDesign.pdf

Not sure how difficult a replica would be. Also depends how true you'd like it to be, that determines cost. I could honestly imagine the cost being pretty close to the current price (well ok of a Lisa 2). Do you have much experience with engineering/the foundation of a computer from scratch?

I voted no. Creating the plastic and metal parts will be very hard to do without access to a factory, and even then, very expensive.

Not sure how difficult a replica would be. Also depends how true you'd like it to be, that determines cost. I could honestly imagine the cost being pretty close to the current price (well ok of a Lisa 2). Do you have much experience with engineering/the foundation of a computer from scratch?

Sorry for late replies, I was working on my Mac Classic II (Horizontal lines). I really wanted it to just be a show replica. I could make the insides, I guess there would be schematics somewhere. I have probably medium experience, most things I get are in need of repair. This was sort of going to be a learning project.

Hard? That makes me want to do it even more :D. But it couldn't be that hard, making some styrofoam cuts of the panels, which is four I believe, and making molds then making the actual plastic sides. I might want to build more sometime.

I think I could acquire some older TRS-80 drives or something, but as I mentioned I wanted it just to be a show machine. I have some assorted parts gathered up and I think I have enough for a nice emulator to run on.

As you all might want to know vintage computers sort of hate me. I have had a floppy drive get stuck in a Macintosh SE (And it still is) a Tandy TRS-80 Model 4 start smoking, and yet finally a CBM 2001 garbage screen that worked when I got it. Tough luck, aye?

heh, they just have their bad days that's all. Great practice though :) Feel free to let us know more if you choose to troubleshoot them. I dunno about the clone, I certainly don't know enough to do it but would imagine creating all the parts would end up pretty odd and not a true clone/replica without some serious cost. I'm sure you could start by writing an emulator though and then maybe just emulate the hardware and create a similar case mold. Grant Stockley has done some pretty serious replicas as far as the Altair. Circuit wise and physically it's compatible with the current parts which is damn impressive but I know it cost a lot for even that, not really sure of the raw costs but the end result was still around a thousandish for the replicas. Given there's the Replica-1 and MicroKim which are impressive and cheaper kits for the reason of educating folks (awesome too btw) but the cost is cheaper because of the simpler design of the computers. When you start doing multiple cards, monitors, case, etc the price and work potentially would break the bank. There are lots of smart folks here though who might have some better suggestions.

Anyone of you homebrew folks want to chime in on the difficulty of building a potential Apple (Lisa) replica?

heh, they just have their bad days that's all. Great practice though :) Feel free to let us know more if you choose to troubleshoot them. I dunno about the clone, I certainly don't know enough to do it but would imagine creating all the parts would end up pretty odd and not a true clone/replica without some serious cost. I'm sure you could start by writing an emulator though and then maybe just emulate the hardware and create a similar case mold. Grant Stockley has done some pretty serious replicas as far as the Altair. Circuit wise and physically it's compatible with the current parts which is damn impressive but I know it cost a lot for even that, not really sure of the raw costs but the end result was still around a thousandish for the replicas. Given there's the Replica-1 and MicroKim which are impressive and cheaper kits for the reason of educating folks (awesome too btw) but the cost is cheaper because of the simpler design of the computers. When you start doing multiple cards, monitors, case, etc the price and work potentially would break the bank. There are lots of smart folks here though who might have some better suggestions.

Anyone of you homebrew folks want to chime in on the difficulty of building a potential Apple (Lisa) replica?

I actually would like to troubleshoot them. Also do you guys know where to get old computers other than online? I can not find ANY in my state. Best luck I've had is the TRS-80. About the Tandy anyway I think what blew was a capacitor. No fire but it smoked up a storm. I'm pretty sure it was a capacitor, and it was my best deal :evil:. I payed $175 for it and it had just about everything but the original boxes.

And guys I have to say I am impressed by this forum. Most others I've been on are run by immature children and rude welcomings, you all are ready and helpful on my topic, congratulations.

Okay. There's a place in my area that has a Lisa 2 and I think it would be fun to get it running. I would also have a basic model for the Lisa 1 :).

Update:

I have a few reference photos and dimensions now. Also do you guys know of anyway to get an LCD to look like a CRT? It's just not the same when it comes to replicas, could a rounded bit of plexiglass manage to cover the LCD?

Helpful information:

Attachments

• lisatopprint.jpg
    lisatopprint.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 1
  • lisasideprint.jpg
    lisasideprint.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 1
  • lisafrontprint.jpg
    lisafrontprint.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 1
  • lisabackprint.jpg
    lisabackprint.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 1
  • lisa1.txt
    78 bytes · Views: 1
Your best bet would be to make a replica faceplate, and stick it onto a Lisa 2. And even then, it would be cosmetic only, because you'd never find the special "Twiggy" drives to mount behind it. The only cosmetic difference between a 1 and a 2 is the faceplate, and many LIsa 2's used to be Lisa 1's and were upgraded for free by Apple because of the flaky Twiggy floppy drives. Hence why the Lisa 1 is so rare.

Making a replica of this machine is going to be nearly impossible. Especially impossible without an original to work from. Now, you *might* be able to pull off making replica faceplates, but bear in mind it's going to be very, very expensive. Molds are not cheap to make. And you're going to need an original faceplate to work from. There was one on eBay forever with a super high BIN, I don't know if it's still there or not, probably.

I admire you desire to make something like this, but it's going to be a massive, massive undertaking unless you already work in the plastics industry.

-Ian

Update:

I have a few reference photos and dimensions now. Also do you guys know of anyway to get an LCD to look like a CRT? It's just not the same when it comes to replicas, could a rounded bit of plexiglass manage to cover the LCD?

Why not just use a CRT? You'll never get the right look with the LCD. Especially since the pixels on a Lisa are rectangular, not square.

-Ian

Because I am iffy about CRTs and the "potential" shock that they could give. I mean I have to die sometime but I would rather finish this project first ;).

That's more than likely what I'll do. I still don't know if the guy will sell me the Lisa 2, but I want one of the two because of the old Apple dealer. They had A LOT of unopened stock (Like Mac 128k) but some guy ended up with it all.

Because I am iffy about CRTs and the "potential" shock that they could give. I mean I have to die sometime but I would rather finish this project first ;).

Man, don't be afraid of working with CRTs, take a look here . Good luck!

Back