• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Macintosh LC with dual drives & internal hard drive

olePigeon

Veteran Member
Howdy,

I finished a mod I'd been meaning to do for a long time. All the parts just seemed to fall into place over a few weekends. I'm out sick right now, but since it was the first day I could get out of bed, I figured I'd stretch my legs by sitting down again and hacking up my Macintosh LC. :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CvgkJrH9Sc

I took a 2.5" SCSI HDD and connected a 50-pin adapter to it. I screwed in some plastic screws on the HDD, and it just so happens it fits perfectly between two ICs and 2 oscillators, nice and snug. The power cable lines up perfectly in the gap between the fan and the SCSI port, and the ribbon cable was just high enough to clear the fan. It's like it was made for this mod, just really lucky I guess. :)

I then got a 4 pin Molex Y-cable, a few plastic spacers, and a Pinnacle 230MB MO drive. Initially I tried it with my Fujitsu 2.3GB MO drive, but it had some protruding metal in the front (to hold the face plate) that prevented it from getting flush enough to actually allow me to insert a 3.5" MO disk. Fortunately I ran across an external Pinnacle MO drive at the recycling center. I extracted it from its case and found that the drive mechanism was as flush as I could make it with the opening of the LC floppy. With the Pinnacle drive, I can actually insert an MO disk, even if a little difficult.

Using some origami, I folded the SCSI cable to make it fit with the lid on. I might get another cable later and split all the wires for easier management, but that'll have to wait for when I'm feeling better.

I was worried it wouldn't work at all because the LC only has the once 5v power source for a HDD, and I would be having both a HDD and a MO disk drive. However, the HDD was a laptop HDD, and I didn't think that the MO drive would need much power. So I just connected it all together, and it worked! I'm surprised the bitty power supply is able to do this considering I also have a Presto 040 card installed. :D

Inadvertently I also found a really cool Control Panel which fails to turn up on Google or Verbatim's website, so I'm going to archive it. It's called the MO Disk Master. Before I had to have different extensions and formatters, one for my Pinnacle and one for my Fujitsu. Verbatim included on their Mac formatted media a control panel that handles any brand MO drive, AND lets me erase a disk straight from Finder.

awesome setup! I have an LCIII I want to "pimp out" like yours. eventually....

Anyway, I've ALWAYS been fascinated by non-floppy removable disks, the zip, the MO, etc. Its funny how a simple flash chip on usb KILLED EVERYTHING.

Thanks! :) So far I'm really digging the MO drives. I lucked out on an eBay auction and snagged a 2.3GB MO drive on the cheap. Apparently you can get 4.6GB discs (2.3GB, double sided) That's some serious storage for 3.5" media! From what I understand, they're also pretty reliable. I plan on getting a few more eventually and phasing out my Jaz drives.

Only down side is that the 2.3GB media is $20+ a disk. I'll just have to keep an eye out. :)

That's quite a cool setup. I have an external SCSI Pinnacle 1.3GB MO that I've used with my NeXT's, and my first Powerbook was a 5300 and one of the expansion bay drives I had for it was a MO, as well as a ZIP and a floppy drive. It was replaced by a Powerbook G3 Wallstreet that also had ZIP and floppy drives for the expansion bay. Great work on that LC!

Jeff

Thanks. I ended up putting my 2.3GB Fujitsu MO into an external 3.5" SCSI enclosure, so now I have that one to move around to my different Macs. :)

Last edited:
Back