• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

I don't know what I want, input appreciated.

luckybob

Veteran Member
Just to give a bit of background, I spent many hours on an mac LCIII when my father brought it home in 93. In fact I still have it and it works fine (minus pram battery). However there was a game that I PLAYED INTO THE GROUND named Escape Velocity. In fact the company that made it is still around and they still have their old titles available still! http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/old/ I pretty much played them all. Anyway. My 'ultimate' goal is to resurrect my old mac and play EV again. The only problem is, the 68030/25 in the LCIII was barely enough to play the game. The site used to say 68040 recommended, and looking back, they meant it. The 2nd version of EV, Override was the straw that broke the camel's back and was practically unplayable. At least on a LCIII. I don't think it needs PPC power, nor do I believe it is ppc native. I'm well aware of the windows version, and the original "port" to said version, but it just doesn't have the same feeling.

What I want, for the lack of a better term, is the ultimate machine designed around this game with little consideration for anything else. That said, I MUST have some sort of s-video output. Part of me playing this game is I want to record my progress and post it up on youtube. (I'll be using a 2nd computer with s-video capture for this) An Escape Velocity let's play. This is where my OCD kicks in. When it comes to computers, my brain is hard-wired so that I can't be happy unless I have the best of the best. My garage is a reflection of this. My intel retro computers are all 'best in socket'. from 386 to today. I wasn't satisfied with a normal 486, I had to find one that had pci, edo ram and 1mb cache. Its just the way I am.

That said, i've been playing around with a Quadra 660av. so far it seems to work, needs a pram battery, but it takes time to get a 10 pack from china. I'm almost certain that this machine is more than plenty for what I want to do. The logic part of my brain is trying hard, but sadly will lose to the OCD part. So, after doing some research, I have a couple options. I think. Naturally, no matter what system I get, I want to pimp it out. I won't add a ppc card to a 68k machine but everything else is fair game. my thought is, if I want a ppc machine, i'll just get a ppc machine.

The two machines that I'm debating are the 840av (naturally) and the PM 9600. The thought is, I can slap a nice late model pci video card in the 9600 that has s-video out and i'll be kosher.

Also, what monitor is pictured here: http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac/specs/powermac_9600_350.html And where do I get one? The 13" that came with my father's LCIII works fine but I'm used to looking at a 20" screen...

Back