Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Getting a Macintosh Plus 1MB! I have some questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting a Macintosh Plus 1MB! I have some questions

I am getting a broken Macintosh Plus 1MB for $5 from Craigslist. They say it makes the start up tone, but the screen doesn't work. From the research I've done, this is a common problem. I've read that you can whack it on the left hand side and they might fix it. I also read that it can be caused by cracked soldering joints, but I have ZERO soldering skills. What exactly do I need to take the computer apart? I am aware of the shock risks. Also, I have no way of reading or writing 800k floppies. All I have are 1.44MB floppies. Is there a way to use an 1.44MB floppy as an 800K floppy? I have mac specific 1.44MB floppies if that makes a difference. I need to be able to so I can use an operating system and other software. I will also need a keyboard and mouse. Unfortunately, people on eBay take advantage and sell the keyboards for $80+. The cheapest mouse I was able to find is $9.99.

Thanks in advance!

There are detailed threads about all of your specific questions on the 68kmla.org forum. Quite a few on this forum also, that can be searched. There are threads here and elsewhere about soldering. For any model of computer, you can probably find an video and/or illustrated guide online for taking it apart - just search with the terms "take apart" or "disassembly".

My most recent lessons on soldering: Get a flux pen or some liquid flux that you can apply to any suspect joint. It makes a huge difference to effectiveness. You should use flux-core solder, but additional liquid flux is magic. Also, get a soldering iron at least 30 watts but with fine tip. I messed up a lot of soldering efforts by not using a big enough iron. Practice as much as possible before attacking something you can't replace.

Rick

Comment

+1 for ricknel

I have a mac plus, you MUST use DD floppies. It simply refuses to acknowledge 1.4MB ones, even modified to work @ 720KB. A vintage mac is a MONEY SINK. I know, I have 7 of them. Anything Apple tends to have a 50% price premium just for the name. It is just the nature of the beast. As for opening up the plus, it isn't hard. I'm fairly certain that there are MANY videos of it on Youtube. There is a special tool needed to open them, well special isn't exactly the right word, just not common.

Do you have any interest / knowledge with this era of macs? Or is this more of passing interest?
      It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Comment

I've restored a few compact Macs including a couple of Plus'. To take it appart you will need a small size torx tool, there are two screws on the lower back, one torx screw under the rear battery cover and there are two screws in handle recess at the top. The screws in the handle recess are difficult because you need a long torx screw driver, which aren't that common. I got around this by using a long flat screw driver, that fit the torx screw. I was able to get the two torx screws out with it. Once all the screws are out the case can be prised apart. This takes some patience, just wiggle appart slowly and it will come appart.

Also, 1.44 floppys can be used on the plus. What you do it put sticky tape over the hole on the opposite side of the write protect flicker. They can then be formatted at 800k disks. Not much good if you can't boot the thing though.
        Last edited by kingchops; April 2, 2013, 03:55 PM.

Comment

I guess my Plus was picky about floppies. I wasn't able to format 1.4mb ones as 720kb.
          It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by luckybob View Post
            Do you have any interest / knowledge with this era of macs? Or is this more of passing interest?
            I have intrest in this era of macs and a little bit of knowledge. I own 4 Macs, an Mac Mini (Late 2006) , my first mac, an iBook G4 (Early 2004), a MacBook (Early 200 my main mac, and a 17in iMac G4 capable of running OS9.

Originally posted by kingchops View Post
            Also, 1.44 floppys can be used on the plus. What you do it put sticky tape over the hole on the opposite side of the write protect flicker. They can then be formatted at 800k disks. Not much good if you can't boot the thing though.
            Thats some good news.

Comment

The screws in the handle recess are difficult because you need a long torx screw driver, which aren't that common.
              Sears sells one that works, craftsman brand. First time in 15 years I went to a Sears, but they had exactly what I needed.

Comment

1.44MB HD 3.5" disks have a different magnetic coercivity than (in this case) 800KB DD disks -- it's not as extreme as it is between DD and HD 5.25" media, but they are not the same, and the higher coercivity of 1.44MB media means that a drive recording at DD signal levels can bleed through to the reverse side. The recording orientation is also wrong (1.44MB is vertical, not longitudinal).

You can often trick the drive into formatting them with the trick you mention, but they have reliability problems and a shortened lifespan. DD media would really be the best way to go.
                I use my C128 because I am an ornery, stubborn, retro grouch. -- Bob Masse
                Various projects and oddities: http://oldvcr.blogspot.com/
                Machine room: http://www.floodgap.com/etc/machines.html

Comment

Yes that's true, it's not a recommended long term solution, but I've done it and it works ok.

Comment

You will have some troubles making 800k floppies to boot the thing too, you MUST have a Mac with an INTERNAL floppy drive running OS9 or older to pull it off, the NEWEST Mac that can pull this off is the Beige G3. External USB drives and PCs can NOT do the variable speed GCR encoding to do 800k disks.

There's a lot of folks here, myself included, who would make you a boot disk for the cost of media and shipping though, so no worries if you don't have a Mac to make your own disks on.
                    My Vintage computer/blog site
                    Searching for a keyboard for a WYSEpc WY-1100.

Comment

I've read that you can use a SCSI Zip Drive and boot from it. With 100MB of space on a zip disk, I could basically use it as a hard drive. Would this work? I don't currently own a Zip Drive of any kind but I feel like I can get one cheaper than an External SCSI hard drive.

Comment

Does that go for the reverse? If I have a 3.5" notcher to convert a DD into HD?

Comment

Got it today and it works great! The video is a little squished horizontally but after adjusting the brightness it works perfectly. Luckily the guy had the mouse, but not the keyboard. There was also a 6.0.3 System Tools disk in the drive (not the original unfortunately) so I can boot it. It's actually a HD disk with the 720K trick done. All it has on it is 6.0.3 and MacPaint and MacWrite. It was very dirty and full of dirt, so I cleaned it off with a Magic Eraser. No clock battery and the contacts look corroded but it didn't seem to do any damage as the computer works fine. Maybe bumping it on the door as I brought it in did some good...

Comment

Like you, I've recently acquired a Mac Plus. Actually two! Unfortunately they both have problems that I have to fix, but I don't think any of the symptoms are atypical. They both chime when they turn on, but the display is blank. On one I can turn the brightness control all the way up to where you can see the vertical retrace, the other one is completely dark. They also respond to a floppy inserted.

Comment

I've read that you can use a SCSI Zip Drive and boot from it. With 100MB of space on a zip disk, I could basically use it as a hard drive. Would this work? I don't currently own a Zip Drive of any kind but I feel like I can get one cheaper than an External SCSI hard drive.
                              Yes you can:

http://www.vintagemacworld.com/pluszip.html

But you will need some tools to do so.

Comment

Working...
                              X