Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Mac Quadra 840AV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mac Quadra 840AV

Hi newbie here. I have a few vintage computers, Amigas mostly, but I never owned a Mac before and don't know much about them and I found a Quadra 840AV and I could use some advice. I don't have an Apple monitor or any other accessories just the tower.

Can anyone point me towards any paperwork for this i.e. a manual.

There seems to be some life in it. When I power it on, it immediately makes a "chime" sound from the internal speaker - is this a good sign? The PSU fan runs and I can hear the hard disk spinning (but not seeking I don't think). At one point it seemed to go through a boot sequence and then made two beeps - what does that mean? It is not doing that any more.

What do I need to connect it to a TV or VGA monitor? I see there are adapters that convert the DB15 video out to HD15 VGA e.g.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390558193126

Will these work with a modern LCD monitor?

I connected the yellow phono socket marked "out" to a TV composite input but I didn't get a picture - should I?

Originally posted by subspace View Post
    Can anyone point me towards any paperwork for this i.e. a manual.
    http://tim.id.au/laptops/apple/legacy/quadra_840av.pdf

There seems to be some life in it. When I power it on, it immediately makes a "chime" sound from the internal speaker - is this a good sign?
    Yes. It's the Mac equivalent to the BIOS beep most PC's used to make (some still do) when booting up.

The PSU fan runs and I can hear the hard disk spinning (but not seeking I don't think). At one point it seemed to go through a boot sequence and then made two beeps - what does that mean? It is not doing that any more.
    Could be some extensions making noises. Could be modal error dialogs. Not sure w/o a look at the screen.

What do I need to connect it to a TV or VGA monitor? I see there are adapters that convert the DB15 video out to HD15 VGA e.g.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390558193126

Will these work with a modern LCD monitor?
    At risk of stating the obvious: The monitor needs to be analog RGB/VGA-compatible for that adapter to work. It can't be digital-ONLY. What inputs does the monitor have?

Comment

Thanks for the reply, I do have an old LCD monitor with a VGA input, but I'm not using it at the moment, just the composite out.
      I read somewhere that a dead PRAM battery might be the cause of no video so I'll try replacing that.

Comment

That's exactly what I was going to suggest. The Q840AV is a nice Mac. It won't run A/UX -- the Q800 was the last model that could -- but it's definitely the brawniest 68K Mac, at least out of the box. Too bad so little made use of the DSPs.
        I use my C128 because I am an ornery, stubborn, retro grouch. -- Bob Masse
        Various projects and oddities: http://oldvcr.blogspot.com/
        Machine room: http://www.floodgap.com/etc/machines.html

Comment

That is also one of the hardest to find 68k macs in good condition and fetches a good price - if you're interested in selling drop me a line!

Comment

I replaced the PRAM battery and made a DB15 to VGA cable and I got a picture out of it. I need to resolder the cable as the blue drive lead broke off. Shows a disk with a flashing question mark on it.
            Attached Files

Comment

It's saying it can't find a bootable volume. Assuming the floppy drive is in working order, you could make a Disk Tools image on another computer, boot the Q840AV with it, and see what you can see. The Q840AV can boot 7.1 with the appropriate System Enabler but you'll probably find it easier to just make a 7.5 Disk Tools floppy and there should be legally available disk images of this for download.

Comment

Unfortunately the floppy drive is missing. Can it be booted from the CD-ROM?
                Last edited by subspace; November 18, 2015, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Yes, if the CD is made bootable. You power on the machine while holding down the C key until you see it boot.

You can also boot off any external SCSI drive. Anything from a HDD to a Zip or Jaz drive.

Comment

“While holding C” may be a touch optimistic. That particular feature was added relatively late in the existence of Macs and I have no idea which if any 68K era machines (or discs published for them, as I believe it was implemented as a feature of the disk driver on the CD) would support that. More generally, if there’s no other bootable drive or partition attached, the machine should boot from a suitable CD without user intervention; on the other hand, if there is a boot disk in place which you want to bypass, holding SCOD (Shift+Command+Option+Delete — note this is normal delete, labelled backspace on some keyboards, and not forward delete) will cause the Mac to skip the drive it expects to boot from and root through the usual suspects for a different one.

The order the boot-disk search is carried out in is somewhat well-documented, and looks something like this:
                    0) If certain keys are held down and the machine is one of the rare few models with a boot disk image in ROM, use that
                    1) Floppy drives, in ascending numerical order
                    2) SCSI drives, one bus at a time (I think if more than one bus is present the order is: built-in external, built-in internal, NuBus — in ascending slot-number order, I _think_), and on each bus, every SCSI ID number from highest to lowest is checked. For most Macs this means IDs from 6 down to zero are examined on each bus (7 is usually the Mac itself’s SCSI controller; 6 is used for a 68k PowerBook in target disk mode, and internal drives are usually set sequentially starting at zero so this search finds everything else first). Later versions of SCSI allowed addresses up to 15, and also multiple “Logical Unit Numbers” (LUNs) per addressed device. I don’t know if any 68k Mac ever supported those features out of the box though.
                    the world’s only gsteemso
                    agitator-in-chief for the Seattle Retro-Computing Society

Comment

Unfortunately, the Q840AV doesn't support the C snag key. That's an OpenFirmware-ism and didn't appear until the PCI Power Macs.

Comment

Depending on where you're located, you could just find someone else with an 040 Mac and mail them a hard disk to drop a universal install of 8.1 on.
                        Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
                        Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
                        "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Comment

What bout holding down the Mouse Button during boot, then inserting a CD-ROM?

Should still work, shouldn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by gsteemso View Post
                            “While holding C” may be a touch optimistic. That particular feature was added relatively late in the existence of Macs and I have no idea which if any 68K era machines (or discs published for them, as I believe it was implemented as a feature of the disk driver on the CD) would support that.
                            I've had various 680x0 Macs over the years and most of them supported booting off a CD if the CD-ROM drive has an Apple ROM (ie. CD-ROM drives manufactured to Apple specs.) Generic CD-ROM drives aren't bootable on 68k Macs in my experience, and are still iffy on PowerPC machines as well.

Originally posted by commodorejohn View Post
                            Depending on where you're located, you could just find someone else with an 040 Mac and mail them a hard disk to drop a universal install of 8.1 on.
                            I have Mac OS 8.0 install media and a few machines that I could install with. The Mac OS 8.1 update is freely available so that could be installed by the owner later.

Comment

Working...
                            X