• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Anyone remember which Apple software projects were codenamed "Elvira" and "Rockwell"?

cpu

Anyone remember which Apple software projects were codenamed "Elvira" and "Rockwell"?

I beta tested a lot of Apple software in the 80's and 90's but I cannot remember what these two code names were used for and all of the usual sources do NOT reference them:

Rockwell - 2/25/1991
Elvira (version 1.1 Golden Master release) - 5/11/1993

I don't have a working Macintosh to stick my diskettes in or I would easily be able to figure this out.

Modern PCs can read Mac disks?

Only double-density disks cause problems for modern PCs. High density Mac disks can work in a modern PC even through an USB drive. There are drivers to read those disks on both Windows and Linux.

Modern PCs can read Mac disks?

You can Read and WRITE them, I routinely make system disks for my macs from the floppy drive in my Windows 7 PC, though only 1.44mb disks. If I need 400/800k disks I do need to fire up one of my old Macs to do that due to the variable spindle speed Apple used, PC (and USB mac) floppy drives will not do variable spindle speed.

Krebizfan, how can you read (SD/)DD disks on modern PCs?

But yes, KC9UDX and CPU, WinImage and maybe Transmac can do that. If you have OSX you can actually just read the disk normally.

Krebizfan, how can you read (SD/)DD disks on modern PCs?

Single density: I have not kept up with Kyroflux or competitors progress. Otherwise, the answer is likely to be no. Just about all floppy controllers since 2000 could not handle single density.

Double density: For Mac floppies with GCR and the variable rotation rates, special tools only. It has been about a decade since Macs supported it.
PC (720kB): Some USB floppy drives support this. I have one. Works fine with Windows 7 and Windows 10 and Centos 7. Motherboard floppy controllers should as well.

krebizfan, you have a USB floppy that supports Mac GCR DD disks? What's the make/model? Why wouldn't it handle SD GCR disks... it's identical but with half the number of sides..., no?

krebizfan, you have a USB floppy that supports Mac GCR DD disks? What's the make/model? Why wouldn't it handle SD GCR disks... it's identical but with half the number of sides..., no?

Obviously, I wrote in haste. No USB floppy drive supports GCR in any form. No USB floppy drive supports single density disks. Some USB floppy drives will support MFM double density formats but only the IBM standard of 720kB. Many techniques of adding extra sectors per track prevent USB floppy drives from reading that disk. Sorry Atari ST owners. Single sided disks, I never tried before in USB drive. I have to remedy that oversight. I think the USB floppy driver specification requires double sided disk formats but now I want to know.

Motherboard floppy controllers support single sided disks. Most motherboard floppy controllers do not support single density formats or GCR formats.

Well, I figured it out:

Rockwell (2/12/1991) was Apple's "seed name" for the first release of third party TrueType fonts in conjunction with System 7 beta version B4.

Elvira (5/11/1993) was Apple's code name for QuickTime for Windows version 1.1

These were surprisingly difficult to suss out.

Back