• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Good (serious) source for 40 MHz 68040?

Timo W.

Veteran Member
I'm currently restoring two Mac Quadra 840av systems, but only one has a CPU installed. While I have many 68040 CPUs in my collection, they are all rated for 25 MHz only. Anyone knows a good source to buy 40 MHz ones? Real ones, of course, so ebay is not an option.

Amiga people have been buying them up and driving up the price for decades.
There is no reliable source.
I bought a couple a while back from China that don't look like remarks, I should try them in my speedbumped Q800

Only the Q840av, Amiga upgrade boards, and some 3rd party Apple CPU upgrades used the 40mhz CPU so it will be very hard to find them in any quantity.

Same with 68030/50's that were pretty much only used in some Apple and Amiga upgrade boards that never sold in massive quantities to begin with.

Quite a few Q840av motherboards needing rework I have seen were stripped of the CPU already making them kind of useless.

Amiga people don't care much about the 040. The few who do would probably buy the 25 MHz one new from https://www.vesalia.de/e_68040.htm - but everyone with a 040 turbo card is normally interested in installing a 060 instead anyway.

I could probably just install a 25/33 MHz version and let it run overclocked. Should be no problem with a good heatsink, as the 040 is rated to work at up to 110°C. But I'm planning to sell the second 840av once it's restored and I don't feel comfortable selling it with an overclocked CPU.

Only the Q840av, Amiga upgrade boards, and some 3rd party Apple CPU upgrades used the 40mhz CPU so it will be very hard to find them in any quantity.
https://www.ebay.de/itm/MOT-FREESCA...849946?hash=item4b5dc6b1da:g:Z4oAAOSwU9xUPjSO

Thought the same and that's why I'm pretty sure these are fakes.

Hope you can hunt down a nice CPU and restore the 840av back to its full glory. :)

At least I was able to complete restoring my main 840av right in time, so I can pack it away for moving.

Back