Announcement

Collapse

Forum etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

"PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

MAC iicx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MAC iicx

Hi

can anyone help me troubleshoot a IICX ?

When powered up, I can see bus activity on the RAM & the ROM, the hard drive spins up then down and the floppy is accessed, but I get no tones and nothing on the screen.

I can see a burst of activity on the NUBUS and the memory/rom being accessed on the video card.

So, it looks as if the CPU is running and accessing the rom, ram and the video card then running some access on the disks but not putting anything on the screen and not playing the tones.

What is the normal startup sequence and should I at least get the sad face icon on the screen for any fault (except a video card fault of course)

Did think it was a total loss, but seeing bus activity makes me think it might be saveable.
    Current fleet
    TRS80 Model 4 - BBC B - Tatung Einstein - PCW9512 - PET 3032 - C64 - ZX81 - Spectrum 48K - Amiga A500 - Apple II europlus - Apple iMAC G3. Sharp MZ-80K. - IBM 5160 XT - Multibus 286/10 - Micro PDP 11/73 - Rainbow PC100A - MicroVax II - MicroVAX 3100, 3300, VAX 4000 VLC & 4000 Model 96 - AlphaStation 225Apricot PC - Apple Performa 6200 - Apple Mac IIcx

Have you recapped the logic board and the power supply already? Because if you haven't, that's probably why the machine doesn't work. Any Apple machine with the garbage 80s/90s SMD electrolytics needs to be recapped by this point in time.

Look for wetness or brown/yellow stains around the bases of the SMD capacitors on the board, if you see anything then the board needs to be recapped. The PSU should also be recapped because they fail as well.

Comment

Caps are something on the list but I wonder why the video card isn't displaying anything as it seems its being addressed (it might be duff though) and there is sensible activity on the CPU bus.

Watching a boot of a healthy unit, it looks as if video should start as soon as power is applied so should be activated in the exchange I can see on the nubus i think so either its getting crap, or the card is faulty.

I will try a cheap monochrome adapter and replace the caps but I also need to remove the smd logic chips as one is faulty as I need to warm it up to get the PSU to switch on.
      Current fleet
      TRS80 Model 4 - BBC B - Tatung Einstein - PCW9512 - PET 3032 - C64 - ZX81 - Spectrum 48K - Amiga A500 - Apple II europlus - Apple iMAC G3. Sharp MZ-80K. - IBM 5160 XT - Multibus 286/10 - Micro PDP 11/73 - Rainbow PC100A - MicroVax II - MicroVAX 3100, 3300, VAX 4000 VLC & 4000 Model 96 - AlphaStation 225Apricot PC - Apple Performa 6200 - Apple Mac IIcx

Comment

You need to replace all of the capacitors before doing any more troubleshooting. The caps going bad WILL prevent the machine from booting. It doesn't matter what video card you use in the system, the results are going to be the same.

It's especially important to recap the power supply, failing capacitors can cause power problems that can damage the motherboard.

Originally posted by Gary C View Post
        I also need to remove the smd logic chips as one is faulty as I need to warm it up to get the PSU to switch on.
        This is a symptom of bad capacitors, rarely is it bad ICs that cause the issue.

Comment

What would be the cost to do all the caps in a IIcx or IIx? Just electrolytics need to be replaced?

Comment

+1 on replacing those SMD capacitors if it's never been done. My IIci was behaving similarly, but replacing the smd electrolytics fixed it. Regardless, it's the first thing to do before looking deeper.

For real. I am one of those guys who is dubious about premature recapping, and I seldom do it unless something is actually broken (and even then only ythe ones that are actually bad). But those smd trashcans that Apple used back then are complete and utter garbage.

Also get rid of the nicad PRAM battery before it leaks. I like to remove the holder and solder in some leads that run to a 3AA holder stuck to the back of the *outside* of the case, so then if something leaks it won't leak on the board.
            -- Lee
            If you get super-bored, try muh crappy YouTube channel: Old Computer Fun!
            Looking to Buy/Trade For (non-working is fine): Mac IIci hard drive sled and one bottom rubber foot, Multisync VGA CRTs, Decent NuBus video card, PC-era Tandy stuff, Weird Old Unix Stuff, Aesthetic Old Serial Terminals (HP and Data General in particular)

Comment

Originally posted by tipc View Post
              What would be the cost to do all the caps in a IIcx or IIx? Just electrolytics need to be replaced?
              A capacitor kit would probably be $30-$35. Going with polymer caps would be a bit more expensive. There's also the option of using tantalum capacitors, but it's not something I'd recommend due to how temperamental they are. Some people swear by them though.

If you wanted someone else to recap a board you have, it'd be whatever their going labor rate is plus shipping. I've recapped boards for a few people here.

Comment

Is mouser a good source for the right caps? I haven't dealt with any of these companies in years, all I know is whenever I go to the digikey sight they stick crappola right up in my face and attempt to force me to capitulate.

Comment

Both Digikey and Mouser have similar interfaces, but I find Mouser easier to navigate. Less information is thrown in your face at once so it's a lot easier to make decisions on components.

Also Mouser is only around ~220 miles from me so it doesn't take long to get parts.

Comment

Digikey has changed their site some, but it's still offensive. It used to be you couldn't do anything until yousigned up. Now there's just the odious cookie disclaimer, and no way to opt out. You either accept or exit. They can go strait to you know where. Mouser on the other hand exercises some class and tact. That's where I'll be shopping. Digikey used to be awesome as I recall. I won't even be going back to their site.

Comment

The cookies thing is to comply with the GDPR law in the EU. Technically any website that is accessible in the EU is required to comply with the GDPR and give notice about what information is stored from whoever is accessing the site, but most people running websites don't comply with it. You really only see it on businesses with an online presence that do business with people in the EU have it.

Comment

With dk it was worse. The cookies thing you see a lot obviously. Some sights just make it more difficult for you to navigate around the page. And compliance or not, invasive cookies aren't necessary. Because they use them they're obligated to announce. Doesn't make me feel any better.

Comment

I have a complete set coming from RS for about 20. Fortunately, I have a business account with them and get free next day delivery.

I too dont like just to recap, prefer to diagnose and fix, but it does look as if its a necessary step with these after a bit of reading.
                          Current fleet

Comment

Some progress.

All the surface mount capacitors replaced (and the flipflop reflowed) and it now powers on reliably.

It now makes a single chime (a single chord, which sounds very much like the first chord in that 90's intel inside advert) which is the happy chime ?

if I press the NIM button I get what I think is the unhappy four note increasing scale ?

Still no video though.

Looking at the video card its a standard Macintosh display card (4.8 ?), and the lead I am using is set with pin 7 to pin 10 at the Mac side, now will this work with this card ? I can't find anything to say it will or won't but the lead works with my Performa 6200.

The cheap monochrome card isn't here yet to try.

Getting there
                            Current fleet

Comment

I couldn't find the table, but I don't believe the JMFB cards supported extended sense / VGA (jumpering 7 to 10) so you're stuck with the original 7 video modes
                              You didn't say what kind of monitor you are trying. I'm assuming VGA

https://lowendmac.com/1990/macintosh-display-card-4-8/ makes no mention of VGA support
                              and here is a decent table of sense codes
                              https://users.soe.ucsc.edu/~davis/pr...c/monitor.html
                              Last edited by Al Kossow; April 1, 2021, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X