• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Sound card recommendation for Tandy 4825 SX

CaffeinePizza

I literally picked up a Tandy 4825 SX off the side of the road the other day. I don't know much about it other than it is a 486, has ~20MB of RAM and a hard drive running Windows 3.1 on DOS 5.0. I plugged it in, no magic smoke, and it booted straight into DOS 5 and Windows 3.1. I was surprised that it even had the correct date in it.

I'm not super knowledgeable in retro computing, so hopefully one of you who does know about these systems could recommend a sound card for me? I was going to run something like Wolf3D and Doom games on it. I thought a SB16-like card, but I'm not sure. Just consider me a noob at this. thanks :)

That's a sweet find.

You can't really go wrong with a SoundBlaster You'll probably have the most universal support when it comes to games. That'll always be my first choice. That's what this one in a review on youtube has. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCX08pO204k

Truthfully, almost any ISA 16 bit sound card will do just fine for DOS and Windows 3.1. I've used Aztech, Analog Devices, Opti's and Ensoniqs. I don't see much difference between any of them, but I'm more a tinker than a gamer. Just search "16 ISA sound" and you'll see 100's on ebay.

Oh! You should check to see the condition of the battery. It's not soldered on the motherboard like many, but has this external battery. just make sure it's not leaking all over the place.

batcap.JPG

Oh! You should check to see the condition of the battery. It's not soldered on the motherboard like many, but has this external battery. just make sure it's not leaking all over the place.

Oh, so that's what that little box was when I opened it up! It didn't appear to be leaking, so I guess I'm lucky.

Back