• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Packard Bell Packmate 50CD - onboard VGA issue?

dafivehole

Veteran Member
I just picked up this computer and took everything completely apart and cleaned it up. I replaced the battery and connected the hard drive & 3.5" floppy, tried to power it up and I get this:

- no video signal (I'm using the onboard VGA).
- I can hear the HD spinning and clicking.
- there are numerous beeps and assorted sounds (going through POST I'm guessing).

I'm using a known good cable and monitor... when I turn the monitor off/on, it just says "No signal." Should I try a video card and switch the jumper to disable the onboard VGA? I'm flying blind on this one...

Thank you,
Roger

OK, I finally got a video card to try... installed it and moved the MB jumper to disable onboard VGA and no change!?! Both drives are unplugged, everything looks good on the MB but no video signal. Any other ideas or suggestions?!?

I also took out the riser card with all associated cards, removed the memory and still got the same results... I just checked all of the jumpers and they're all correct. What's left?!?

Thank you,
Roger

Attachments

• IMG_20210718_213023124.jpg
    IMG_20210718_213023124.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Maybe a stupid question, but the photo shows you don't have RAM installed. Have you installed it since?

- there are numerous beeps and assorted sounds (going through POST I'm guessing).
Tell us about these. The number and length are telling the error.

Also, replace that barrel battery as soon as possible and check for corrosion.

I've tried with and without memory... not sure how that affects the video signal. The battery is brand new, installed by me. I saw no signs of corrosion. The beeps are three long beeps and before the third beep ends, another two shorter beeps...

Last edited:
I can only spot 512 kb of video memory on the picture you posted. No idea where it is supposed to have those 4 megs. But yes, there could be a fault there.

Do you have a POST diag card?

//edit:
Check J41. This disables the on-board memory.

I don't have a POST diag card (but I just bought one). Apparently you can disable the soldered on 4MB via jumper J41... I'll give this a shot when I get home and I'll confirm that the memory stick is correct. Thank you!

Last edited:
Now with no memory installed and the onboard memory disabled, I get three (normal) beeps... when I install the one stick I have, I get three (long, low) beeps followed with two more of the same.

The memory I have is 60ns and the spec sheet says it must be 70 or 80... would that cause these issues? I got the Diag card but I can't get the digital display to show anything other than four dashes...

Also, does anyone have any memory that fits the specs required:

Use Fast Page Mode DRAM SIMMS. This motherboard does NOT support EDO DRAM SIMMS!
SIMM speed must be 80ns or 70ns.
The SIMMS are 72-pin and can be x32 or x36. The motherboard design does not require parity checking.
The board comes with 4MB soldered onto the motherboard, and will take 4/8/16/32 MB simms up to a maximum of 64MB.

Notes -

The system will not correctly recognize the total amount of memory if an 8MB SIMM module is installed at Bank 2.
When two 32 MB SIMMS are installed, the Surface Mount memory needs to be disabled. This is done by jumper J41 (On Board Memory Disable).
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'll try some good/correct memory, and if that doesn't work, it's time to move on...

Thank you,
Roger

Last edited:
Back