• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Does anyone have any experience with EISA video cards?

lysinger

I own a Mylex EISA server that came with an ISA video card. I always wanted an EISA video card for it and finally acquired one. The first couple POST attempts had no video and eventually some BIOS beep codes. After moving it to other slots on the board, I no longer get beep codes. I've done a little research and learned that EISA cards needed config files and utilities. Will I need to plug the ISA video card in and the EISA video card and run config utilities or is the card supposed to give me video without taking that step? All insight is greatly appreciated!

What kind of video card is it? Hopefully it isn't an Opti Local Bus card, which uses an EISA style connector, but is certainly not compatible!

It is a Compaq CPQ3001. I do own an Opti Local Bus card of unkown working status and I would love an Opti Local Bus motherboard to go with it, I have not seen one since the early 1990s. When you say not compatible, how not compatible? "Doesn't work at all" not compatible, or "kaboom!" not compatible?

Last edited:
I have only used a couple of EISA videocards, but in my experience they don't need CFG files to boot up. Sounds like the card might be dead.

There were actually quite a few OPTi local bus motherboards floating around on eBay over the years. The problem is they are rarely identified as such, so you have to know what they look like.
I have a 386 motherboard that has solder pads for an OLB slot, but first you have to desolder the ISA slot, find an EISA slot and then solder it in. It would be very labour intensive, and I would only do it if you get board like that almost for free and have good tools. Not to mention, local bus isn't all that impressive on a 386.

With the Compaq boards in particular you have to configure the board before you install it; they don't have any logic to give VGA function on an unconfigured board. Run the ECU with the ISA board and manually add the config for the Compaq board, in whatever slot you plan to put it in. Save, shut down, remove the ISA board, and install the Compaq board.

Other EISA video boards (e.g. Mach32 EISA) are more forgiving, and will give you VGA function even if the board is unconfigured. It also depends some on the motherboard. Compaq motherboards have a slot marked with a monitor icon and (supposedly) will give you VGA function on an unconfigured board in that particular slot.

Back