Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

ps2 mca sound card - what are they worth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ps2 mca sound card - what are they worth

Some one on VC forums had one and I was too slow to inquire and now it is gone. If I should be so lucky to find another what would be a fair price? For a genuine IBM model? For a third party model? I would be installing it in a "77" I think (or maybe a "57" been a while since I actually saw it).
    Last edited by justjunk; March 19, 2009, 06:03 PM. Reason: or maybe a "57"

Originally posted by justjunk View Post
    Some one on VC forums had one and I was too slow to inquire and now it is gone. If I should be so lucky to find another what would be a fair price? For a genuine IBM model? For a third party model? I would be installing it in a "77" I think (or maybe a "57" been a while since I actually saw it).
    It depends on the soundcard. Some models of the 57 and 77 were called "Ultimedia" (but didn't use the RS/6000 soundcard of the same name that some are still trying to get working on a PS/2) for the audio/video enhancements to the systems. FWIW, I have a few extra sound bezels (it has a speaker and volume control, to work with a couple of the IBM soundcards) for the 57/77 case.

Here is the list otherwise: http://www.ibmmuseum.com/OhlandL/sound/sound_index.html
    Disclaimer: The username IBMMuseum and domain IBMMuseum.com are not affiliated with IBM in any manner

Comment

Originally posted by IBMMuseum View Post
      It depends on the soundcard. Some models of the 57 and 77 were called "Ultimedia" (but didn't use the RS/6000 soundcard of the same name that some are still trying to get working on a PS/2) for the audio/video enhancements to the systems. FWIW, I have a few extra sound bezels (it has a speaker and volume control, to work with a couple of the IBM soundcards) for the 57/77 case.

Here is the list otherwise: http://www.ibmmuseum.com/OhlandL/sound/sound_index.html
      Thank you for that information.
      If I have a choice of cards which would you (or anyone else here) recommend? Currently the only choice I have is an Audiovation card. Any suggestions about fair price?

Comment

Thank you for that information.
        If I have a choice of cards which would you (or anyone else here) recommend? Currently the only choice I have is an Audiovation card. Any suggestions about fair price?
        Chipchats were still being made until some years ago, and tended to be highly thought of. Price is a matter of supply (rather low) and demand (higher than supply). My recommendation is whichever one you can find.
        Disclaimer: The username IBMMuseum and domain IBMMuseum.com are not affiliated with IBM in any manner

Comment

Originally posted by IBMMuseum View Post
          Chipchats were still being made until some years ago, and tended to be highly thought of. Price is a matter of supply (rather low) and demand (higher than supply). My recommendation is whichever one you can find.
          Thanks again. Right now the Audiovation card is the only one I can find. The asking price seems a little high (~$100) but nothing else seems readily available. Did the Chipchats offer any advantage over the IBM Audiovation?

Comment

did it

I bit the bullet and ordered the Audiovation card... cant help thinking... must be crazy to spend that much just to get sound out of an old mca box.

Comment

Computers without sound are a bit weird for me, so I know what you are feeling. All my PS/2 systems are towers meant to be servers, so they didn't need sound. I was looking for a MCA soundblaster and gave up since they are rare and pricey.
              What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
              Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
              Boxed apps and games for the above systems
              Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Comment

As you are finding out, they are worth a lot if one or more people are looking for one!

Did you find a source for the 60G3879 (IBM Part No.) card? If so, do they have more than one available? Sounds like the first one might be taken already

chuckcmagee at msn dot com

Yes, your now standard anti-bot email address.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckcmagee View Post
                  As you are finding out, they are worth a lot if one or more people are looking for one!

Did you find a source for the 60G3879 (IBM Part No.) card? If so, do they have more than one available? Sounds like the first one might be taken already

chuckcmagee at msn dot com

Yes, your now standard anti-bot email address.
                  www dot cygnussupply dot com

92G7464 IBM AUDIOVATION Adapter

it is a mca sound card (new # i think is the only difference)
                  $49 plus shipping of about $15
                  new in open box!

took a lot of searching to find it.. I will let you all know when it arrives.

I believe they have another one available. The only other one I was able to locate was $175. I wouldn't spend that much.

Comment

www dot cygnussupply dot com

92G7464 IBM AUDIOVATION Adapter

it is a mca sound card (new # i think is the only difference)
                    $49 plus shipping of about $15
                    new in open box!

took a lot of searching to find it.. I will let you all know when it arrives.

I believe they have another one available. The only other one I was able to locate was $175. I wouldn't spend that much.
                    just curious.. did anyone snag the other card?

Comment

I sure didn't. They refunded my payment, said "all out". Saved me $63 I guess.

Comment

Interesting(?) sidebar:

A few years back (late '386-to-early 486 era), I was curious about folks' fascination with soundcards, so I asked around the store (about 7-8 employees, customers, hangers-out, etc), "If you only had enough money to buy one of these items, soundcard, double your CPU speed, or double your memory, which would you go for?" I was certain that important stuff to enhance performance would be the priority, but every single one of them (all gamers, BTW) agreed that the soundcard would be their first choice. Sheesh, I didn't get it, so I continued my (unscientific) survey for a few days, asking everyone who came in the same question. The response was 100%! Not a single person agreed with me, that performance was more important than their st00pit games making weird noises at 'em. I still don't get it...

--T
                        Teach your children how to think, not what, and hold 'em close, not tight.

Please visit the Vintage-Computer Wiki. Contributers welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Yager View Post
                          A few years back (late '386-to-early 486 era), I was curious about folks' fascination with soundcards, so I asked around the store (about 7-8 employees, customers, hangers-out, etc), "If you only had enough money to buy one of these items, soundcard, double your CPU speed, or double your memory, which would you go for?" I was certain that important stuff to enhance performance would be the priority, but every single one of them (all gamers, BTW) agreed that the soundcard would be their first choice. Sheesh, I didn't get it, so I continued my (unscientific) survey for a few days, asking everyone who came in the same question. The response was 100%! Not a single person agreed with me, that performance was more important than their st00pit games making weird noises at 'em. I still don't get it...

--T
                          ehhh.. so.. i may be crazy... but i've got alot of company.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckcmagee View Post
                            I sure didn't. They refunded my payment, said "all out". Saved me $63 I guess.
                            sorry.. didnt really think anyone else would shellout that kinda bux for sound on an ancient machine

Comment

ehhh.. so.. i may be crazy... but i've got alot of company.
                              Yes, I believe you were one of the original participants in my lil' survey...

--T
                              Teach your children how to think, not what, and hold 'em close, not tight.

Please visit the Vintage-Computer Wiki. Contributers welcome.

Comment

Working...
                              X