• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

ps2 mca sound card - what are they worth

justjunk

Experienced Member
Some one on VC forums had one and I was too slow to inquire and now it is gone. If I should be so lucky to find another what would be a fair price? For a genuine IBM model? For a third party model? I would be installing it in a "77" I think (or maybe a "57" been a while since I actually saw it).

Last edited:
Some one on VC forums had one and I was too slow to inquire and now it is gone. If I should be so lucky to find another what would be a fair price? For a genuine IBM model? For a third party model? I would be installing it in a "77" I think (or maybe a "57" been a while since I actually saw it).

It depends on the soundcard. Some models of the 57 and 77 were called "Ultimedia" (but didn't use the RS/6000 soundcard of the same name that some are still trying to get working on a PS/2) for the audio/video enhancements to the systems. FWIW, I have a few extra sound bezels (it has a speaker and volume control, to work with a couple of the IBM soundcards) for the 57/77 case.

Here is the list otherwise: http://www.ibmmuseum.com/OhlandL/sound/sound_index.html

It depends on the soundcard. Some models of the 57 and 77 were called "Ultimedia" (but didn't use the RS/6000 soundcard of the same name that some are still trying to get working on a PS/2) for the audio/video enhancements to the systems. FWIW, I have a few extra sound bezels (it has a speaker and volume control, to work with a couple of the IBM soundcards) for the 57/77 case.

Here is the list otherwise: http://www.ibmmuseum.com/OhlandL/sound/sound_index.html

Thank you for that information.
If I have a choice of cards which would you (or anyone else here) recommend? Currently the only choice I have is an Audiovation card. Any suggestions about fair price?

Thank you for that information.
If I have a choice of cards which would you (or anyone else here) recommend? Currently the only choice I have is an Audiovation card. Any suggestions about fair price?

Chipchats were still being made until some years ago, and tended to be highly thought of. Price is a matter of supply (rather low) and demand (higher than supply). My recommendation is whichever one you can find.

Chipchats were still being made until some years ago, and tended to be highly thought of. Price is a matter of supply (rather low) and demand (higher than supply). My recommendation is whichever one you can find.

Thanks again. Right now the Audiovation card is the only one I can find. The asking price seems a little high (~$100) but nothing else seems readily available. Did the Chipchats offer any advantage over the IBM Audiovation?

did it

did it

I bit the bullet and ordered the Audiovation card... cant help thinking... must be crazy to spend that much just to get sound out of an old mca box.

Computers without sound are a bit weird for me, so I know what you are feeling. All my PS/2 systems are towers meant to be servers, so they didn't need sound. I was looking for a MCA soundblaster and gave up since they are rare and pricey.

As you are finding out, they are worth a lot if one or more people are looking for one!

Did you find a source for the 60G3879 (IBM Part No.) card? If so, do they have more than one available? Sounds like the first one might be taken already :mrgreen:

chuckcmagee at msn dot com

Yes, your now standard anti-bot email address.

As you are finding out, they are worth a lot if one or more people are looking for one!

Did you find a source for the 60G3879 (IBM Part No.) card? If so, do they have more than one available? Sounds like the first one might be taken already :mrgreen:

chuckcmagee at msn dot com

Yes, your now standard anti-bot email address.

www dot cygnussupply dot com

92G7464 IBM AUDIOVATION Adapter

it is a mca sound card (new # i think is the only difference)
$49 plus shipping of about $15
new in open box!

took a lot of searching to find it.. I will let you all know when it arrives.

I believe they have another one available. The only other one I was able to locate was $175. I wouldn't spend that much.

www dot cygnussupply dot com

92G7464 IBM AUDIOVATION Adapter

it is a mca sound card (new # i think is the only difference)
$49 plus shipping of about $15
new in open box!

took a lot of searching to find it.. I will let you all know when it arrives.

I believe they have another one available. The only other one I was able to locate was $175. I wouldn't spend that much.

just curious.. did anyone snag the other card?

Interesting(?) sidebar:

Interesting(?) sidebar:

A few years back (late '386-to-early 486 era), I was curious about folks' fascination with soundcards, so I asked around the store (about 7-8 employees, customers, hangers-out, etc), "If you only had enough money to buy one of these items, soundcard, double your CPU speed, or double your memory, which would you go for?" I was certain that important stuff to enhance performance would be the priority, but every single one of them (all gamers, BTW) agreed that the soundcard would be their first choice. Sheesh, I didn't get it, so I continued my (unscientific) survey for a few days, asking everyone who came in the same question. The response was 100%! Not a single person agreed with me, that performance was more important than their st00pit games making weird noises at 'em. I still don't get it...

--T

A few years back (late '386-to-early 486 era), I was curious about folks' fascination with soundcards, so I asked around the store (about 7-8 employees, customers, hangers-out, etc), "If you only had enough money to buy one of these items, soundcard, double your CPU speed, or double your memory, which would you go for?" I was certain that important stuff to enhance performance would be the priority, but every single one of them (all gamers, BTW) agreed that the soundcard would be their first choice. Sheesh, I didn't get it, so I continued my (unscientific) survey for a few days, asking everyone who came in the same question. The response was 100%! Not a single person agreed with me, that performance was more important than their st00pit games making weird noises at 'em. I still don't get it...

--T
ehhh.. so.. i may be crazy... but i've got alot of company.

Is has arrived!

Is has arrived!

The card has arrived! I won't be installing it anytime soon but I will try to post pictures soon. It is not just the card but a full package including manual, software, and accessories! A microphone and cables! Wow! Maybe the price wasn't so bad after all!

Back