• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Windows 3.11 freezing at splash screen

Tiberian Fiend

Veteran Member
I've installed Windows 3.1, 95, and 98SE on my Unisys CWD (486 DX4 with 32 MB RAM) with minimal problems, but WFW 3.11 freezes at the splash screen on first boot, with blips of HDD activity at 5 second intervals, and stays like this. I've tried re-installing it to the same effect. Any thoughts?

Do you have a network card installed? That freeze usually happens when you have an unplugged network cable or incorrect network configuration... it'll just sit there waiting for a connection.

You can try WIN /N to skip the network loading.

If not that, do a WIN /B and see how far into the load BOOTLOG.TXT gets.

Typically networking causes that hang, and typically it WILL eventually go away if you wait, but WIN /N as said above is quite a bit faster.

/N works, thanks. What kind of network is it looking for? It doesn't work connected to my router. If I install Winsock and connect the computer to the internet, will it boot properly?

/N works, thanks. What kind of network is it looking for? It doesn't work connected to my router. If I install Winsock and connect the computer to the internet, will it boot properly?

Go to "Network Setup" in the Network group. All information about your network is stored there. If you don't want it at all, delete everything. Otherwise consult the list and set it up to your liking.

Back