• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

72-pin SIMM question

If they are indeed standard ECC EDO SIMMS, and not something proprietary, they should work in place of regular parity EDO RAM, just with the ECC part ignored. I'm using ECC SIMMs out of a DEC Alphaserver in a couple of my boards.

However, I'm not sure exactly what you're planning to use it in, but remember that many 486 and early Pentium systems don't like EDO, and also don't like large capacity sticks. So they're not exactly going to be universally compatible, even if they're not HP-specific.

According to that picture (but sometimes those are wrong, on stason) it takes 30-pin SIMMs anyway! o_O

I've got lots of SIMMs for sale if you end up needing some of a smaller, more normal size/feature-set.

It has two banks of 30-pin and two 72-pin slots, actually. I can use a combination of the two. That sheet says it has the capacity for 128MB in either set of banks. I wonder if I could stuff both for 256MB... it would be expensive to try.

I got 10 of SIMM's very similar to those and have tried them in a couple boards, a Socket 3 and at least 1 Socket 7. Both of them booted up but when loading Windows on the Socket 7 the system would become unstable.
The Socket 3 board didn't have an OS, but it would count all the memory till 64MB using a single SIMM module.
Just a note, my modules are all FPM, not EDO.

In many manuals made in the Socket 7 days I've read the boards usually won't work with modules that have more then 24 memory chips

I posted a pic of those modules here in the DEC section iirc. I got 5 pairs which look differently, but all are apparently 60ns parity double sided FPM modules.

In many manuals made in the Socket 7 days I've read the boards usually won't work with modules that have more then 24 memory chips

+1 on this. I'm surprised that a simm like that isnt registered as well. That is what usually makes server ram incompatible with desktop ram. I have a dual socket 8, and they put in the manual in BOLD "Do NOT use simms having more than 18 chips per simm. These are not supported by the chipset"

on the other hand, if you want 64mb edo modules look at the ibm part number 42L0225 Every pentium board I have likes these chips and I have 8 stuffed into my dual socket 8 system, works like a champ. Actually, if you search ebay for "42L0225" and select title and description you will see several auctions for sets of these chips. I bought mine from the same guy. He must have a LOT of these... 4 sticks for $35 incl shipping isnt a great deal but the damn things work.

Back