• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

368 with 64meg ram.

Iconclass

I have posted here on this topic in the past. I stumbled upon a stanson web page that showed a 386/ 486dlc board capable of having 64meg of ram installed in it? My bios has a setting allowing me to cache up to 64meg of ram in it. I have two banks of 30 pin simms four each, Bank 0, Bank1. I know that a pentium era board I have supports auto banking.

To the point, The stanson page on the above mentioned motherboard showed to support 64meg of ram only populate the first bank, Bank 0, with 4 16meg 30pin simms.

Anyone here of this or is knoledgeable about this fact? I have read that if you have 128kb of L1 cache you ought to be able to support that much ram.

The motherboard I hav is of the class that has native support for a 486Dlc and 40mhz operation. By installing an additional chip I can get the cache to write thru.

http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/U/UNIDENTIFIED-486-J-302-386DX-486DLC-CACHE.html

The amount cachable is not a direct indicator of the amount of RAM supported - my Presario 425 (a 486) has a chipset capable of caching up to 256MB of RAM, and it only supports 20MB due to the number of sockets, and a maximum SIMM capacity of 8MB (might be 16MB, need to test, but officially it's 8 and my point is it's not 256..). In case you're wondering how 8+8=20, there's 4MB of soldered-on RAM.

I'm pretty sure that 386 board can handle 64MB, because I owned a board almost exactly like it. I don't know about all 64MB being cacheable though. I think with 128mb it might only cache 32M.

Back