• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Is this thing legit?

"486" doesn't mean socket-1/80486 classes of CPUs. It actually reffers to a much more recent "486-pin" socket, which was quite common for about five years ago.

Now I'm confused. The socket I was thinking about isn't 486-pinned, but rather 479-pinned. Perhaps he's just been mixing up the numbers?

Last edited:
Gotta say, I'd be all over something that crazy, no matter how useless. :D

As they said though, it's a number mistake - or a miscommunication of concept, referring to a CPU with pins instead of contacts as a "486 type".

It would be immensely hilarious to run a 486 in a Pentium 4 socket just to see what would happen. :D

The newer Intel CPUs do not have pins, the pins are in fact on the board. This adapter looks like all it does is allow you to plug in an older (pinned) cpu into a newer pinned socket boards.

It has nothing to do with 486 CPUs, and I have serious doubts about it working in most cases.

It would be immensely hilarious to run a 486 in a Pentium 4 socket just to see what would happen. :D

If you live 2 blocks from someone attempting such a thing, you'll probably first see a bright flash, then the windows start to shake and the sky will be darkened by a big mushroom cloud from putting a 486 through such a torturous overclock :p

Back