Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

would it be "cheating"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

would it be "cheating"?

To put a PODP5V (Pentium Overdrive 80mhz) chip in to my 486 rig...
    I want an ultimate 486... and so far I think I'm doing pretty good. I have this OD CPU, it works, I had it installed for a little bit but then got to thinking... is it really still a 486 box anymore at that point? And I put the DX4-100 back in.
    -JDT

Wanted: IBM XT/286 Model 5162 <-!!!

Cheating? Nah, the technology was out and lots of folks did it. I do however think it's a 586 after that though not a 486 if that's the cheating your thinking about. I never read up enough on all the different clock speeds but I do recall in a lot of tests (and it's absolutely possible we had it misconfigured or had a limit on our bus speed) but the dx4 I had outperformed the pentium overdrive quite shockingly. Now my friends and I were just starting to tinker with hardware professionally so we may not have known quite enough but I do recall us setting the jumpers on the system for the new processor.
    Looking to acquire: IBM 5100, Altair 8800

Comment

It's your decision, really. The PODP had a Pentium core on a 486 bus, so, no, it wasn't really a 486. On the other hand, it was an available upgrade during the 486 era, some people bought them in order to extend the useful life of their 486s, and it's not super-common.

I don't fault your logic, but I also wouldn't fault you if you put the chip in. It was an expensive chip at the time, and it had a reputation for having compatibility issues, though the experience of people here on this site suggests that the chip's reputation for issues was probably overblown. I knew a lot of people who had 486s, and I only ever knew one person who bought and used one. And I think one of the big reasons he got it was because I was able to use my employee discount to get it for him below retail. A system with a PODP in it is harder to find than a system with a DX4-100 in it.
      my blog: http://dfarq.homeip.net
      I wanna live where it's always Saturday. --Guadalcanal Diary

Comment

Yeah, I have no idea how or where we were getting our chips from. I think folks were trading in their systems for upgrades and/or if the company couldn't fix them the customer would just say "keep it" and they'd try to sell the customer a new PC (it was a shady company a friend worked for who would try to get the customer to buy a new PC rather than fix it, then they'd sell the used parts (as used parts at least)). Anyway, that said I recall we had a large selection of processors for free and equipment that the company didn't care about and would give us, or they'd buy out another company and we'd help haul the equipment in our trucks with the agreement that we could snag a few pieces for our own fun (got servers and other toys that way).

Anyway, that was the only reason we had the PODP was because it was free and we'd upgrade our CPUs once and a while when something better showed up or if one of us upgraded the friend network could have the old chip.
        Looking to acquire: IBM 5100, Altair 8800

Comment

My opinion? It's "cheating" I kept my DX4-100 in my system for just that reason. My goal was to have the "ultimate" 486 that I wanted back in the day, not the pentium-in-a-486 that the podp offered, and ultimately, what I already have in a real system.
          ---
          Currently seeking:
          * Roland MPU-401/AT (with daughter card header)
          * Magitronic K-156 Keyboard (5pin DIN w/ XT-AT switch)
          I also collect PC and C64 Sierra On-Line software!

Comment

If games are your goal, I've found the 486DX4-100 to be faster than the POD 83MHz - unless you are talking about Quake or later 3d games, which greatly benefit from the pentium's stronger FPU. However, I posit that a 486 is not the best platform for those kind of games anyway

If you want the ultimate 486, an Am5x86-133 is pretty much just a 486DX4 at 133MHz with a funny name. That will be a better choice for the ultimate 486 than the Pentium Overdrive.

Comment

I'm of the opinion that it's better to pick the software you want to run and get the right system to run it, instead of trying to shoehorn software onto a system that wasn't designed to run it. If you want to run games that run better on a Pentium, I'd replace (or supplement) the 486 w/ a Pentium system. (But I also recognize that that's easy for me to say, because I've got 3 or 4 Pentium motherboards sitting around in my 'spare parts' bin.)

Comment

Originally posted by Abbub View Post
                I'm of the opinion that it's better to pick the software you want to run and get the right system to run it, instead of trying to shoehorn software onto a system that wasn't designed to run it. If you want to run games that run better on a Pentium, I'd replace (or supplement) the 486 w/ a Pentium system. (But I also recognize that that's easy for me to say, because I've got 3 or 4 Pentium motherboards sitting around in my 'spare parts' bin.)
                I've got 'em all and the Am5x86-133 is the best performer of the batch. My 133 is OC'd to 150 mHz. BTW, I wouldn't lay awake at night worryong about whether or not I was 'cheating' on a cpu selection. As far as I'm concerned, if you can strap it on to your mobo its a go. I don't think anyone's ever been busted for hotrodding a 486.
                Surely not everyone was Kung-Fu fighting

Comment

I have a few Am5x86 133 chips, Z & W. but my board doesnt support the voltages, 5v only.
                  -JDT

Wanted: IBM XT/286 Model 5162 <-!!!

Comment

Originally posted by barythrin View Post
                    Cheating? Nah, the technology was out and lots of folks did it. I do however think it's a 586 after that though not a 486 if that's the cheating your thinking about. . . .
                    That just about sums it up. AFAIK the chips were sold as "Intel 486 Overdrive Processors". Yes yours is basically a P54 - Pentium so not technically a "486", but I think that if you called it a "486 Overdrive" you would be correct.

BTW, you call it an 80mhz. Did you not mean 83?
                    WANTED: Cardinal 2450MNP modem.

Comment

^ this is probably splitting hairs, but I've always seen them referred to as 'Pentium Overdrive for 486 Processor'. Remember there was 486 Overdrives available as well (eg the 486DX4 Overdrive with 5V regulator).

I have a few Am5x86 133 chips, Z & W. but my board doesnt support the voltages, 5v only.
                      well... you could just wing it and hope it doesn't melt... I've been running a 3.3V DX4-100 in a 5V only board for a couple of months now and it hasn't had any issues, but who knows how long it will last.
                      Generally for a 5V only board I think you'd be better off getting one of the 5V DX4 Overdrives, as its practically the fastest CPU officially supported by the motherboard.

Comment

There are plenty of Evergreen 486/133 chips out there for 5V machines if you want to find one.
                        What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
                        Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
                        Boxed apps and games for the above systems
                        Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Comment

What would your opinion be of an XT class machine with a Tiny Orchid board installed? Those are considered quite collectible.

I think it's OK to have a 486 with an Overdrive processor. Many of those boards had 2 CPU sockets on them. One of the sockets solely for an Overdrive upgrade. It's not the same as pulling out the motherboard and replacing it with an entirely different system.

Comment

There are plenty of Evergreen 486/133 chips out there for 5V machines if you want to find one.

I've never been able to find one... had a post in the wanted-to-buy section of this site and never got any replies, and they never seem to come up on ebay. Whereas the 5V DX4 overdrives seem much easier to come by (I've got a few of them already).

Comment

The evergreens are perfect for testing oddball 486 motherboards I get since they will run in anything no matter the settings (to see if the board posts). There are a few types out there some with fans and somewithout.
                              What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
                              Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
                              Boxed apps and games for the above systems
                              Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Comment

Working...
                              X