Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

What happens when you get in a hurry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happens when you get in a hurry

Going through stuff that I stored 10 years ago, I know better but didn't look both ways.
    It was a 386, now only good for parts. Don't be like me.

You can probably fix it wiring point to point on the bottom side of the board. I fixed a few leaking boards that way. Generally just the keyboard section and the removable battery port are affected, in your case maybe some power traces also. Anything affected on the bottom side?
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Comment

Originally posted by RJBJR View Post
      Going through stuff that I stored 10 years ago, I know better but didn't look both ways.
      It was a 386, now only good for parts. Don't be like me.
      Canned evil...

I pull those batteries on any motherboard I owned of that era...
      Disclaimer: The username IBMMuseum and domain IBMMuseum.com are not affiliated with IBM in any manner

Comment

Originally posted by Unknown_K View Post
        You can probably fix it wiring point to point on the bottom side of the board. I fixed a few leaking boards that way. Generally just the keyboard section and the removable battery port are affected, in your case maybe some power traces also. Anything affected on the bottom side?
        Thanks for the suggestion but this is going into the trash after I pull the chips. I had just gone through a dozen 8088 boards that don't have batteries and was on auto pilot when I powered this on.

Comment

Woah--you mean that happened only when you powered the board? Nothing to do with the battery, I think. Maybe you should offer it for shipping to someone with an itchy soldering iron.
          Reach me: vcfblackhole _at_ protonmail dot com.

Comment

Shame, stuff like that I love trying to fix... fixing traces isn't all that hard. Could make some good soldering practice! Real shame if its a DX and not SX board.
            '. \ / .'
            '. .'``'. .'
            ......:::::::`.....`::
            Currently seeking a Compaq Deskpro 386

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck(G) View Post
              Woah--you mean that happened only when you powered the board? Nothing to do with the battery, I think. Maybe you should offer it for shipping to someone with an itchy soldering iron.
              I'm with chuck on this one. thats not a battery issue, that looks like someone plugged the power supply cables in backwards...
              It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Comment

It's a great reason to take some packing tape or glue and stick the two connectors together. I don't know why this wasn't done on more power supplies. There are comparatively few motherboards that separate the power connectors rather than put them side by side.

You could even take a couple of cable ties and tie the inside black wires on the two connectors together, so the mistake doesn't happen.
                Reach me: vcfblackhole _at_ protonmail dot com.

Comment

On closer examination the battery corroded the power-in traces, the keyboard plug and even some of the jumpers. The corrosponding traces on the back of the board
                  are burned/melted. Lots of pretty green oxidation everywhere. I may have toasted the keyboard but don't know yet, the back of the keyboard plug-in is an ugly black melted mass surrounded by corrosion. Shorts to ground tend to get hot fast. I just put this post up to remind people to look at stuff before plugging it in, even if it was properly stored since the last time you saw it.

Comment

Originally posted by luckybob View Post
                    I'm with chuck on this one. thats not a battery issue, that looks like someone plugged the power supply cables in backwards...
                    I wonder how you would know what that looks like LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by RJBJR View Post
                      I wonder how you would know what that looks like LOL!
                      i've never done it but, the amperage required to burn out large traces like that is beyond a battery of that size.
                      It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Comment

I've done something similar once, but the board still worked after, sans a working keyboard controller. After some trace repair, and a swap of the keyboard rom, all was fixed. Fast forward 4 years later , and this is what I got for my hard work...

Dunno if you can see it, sorry bad shot I guess, but beautiful green corrosion only on the pins of the last few isa slots. Its so bad, i lost a few pins handling the board, they just fell out...

On the right, you can see where I had to rebuild the pcb somewhat due to the leaky battery. It even took out the crystal, which I replaced. Meh...
                        '. \ / .'
                        '. .'``'. .'

Comment

Luckybob : Agreed, but if you look carefully, the last few pins also have corrosion. This could have caused a short when powered on. The amount of juice a keyboard port is more then likely over 1amp, more then enough to fry a trace if say shorted to ground...

Board still looks repairable to me though. I'd clean off the corrosion best I could , oil that part up with wd40 or some sort of electronics goop and toss it back in a bag for a rainy day... Could make a good project in the future! =D
                          '. \ / .'
                          '. .'``'. .'

Comment

Originally posted by twolazy View Post
                            Board still looks repairable to me though. I'd clean off the corrosion best I could , oil that part up with wd40 or some sort of electronics goop and toss it back in a bag for a rainy day... Could make a good project in the future! =D
                            Yes, it might make a good project. I've always regretted throwing out this board. At the time I thought it unrepairable. I'm a lot more technically skilled now and maybe I could have saved it. It would have made a nice project to try anyway.

Tez
                            ------------------------------------------------
                            My vintage collection: https://classic-computers.org.nz/collection/
                            My vintage activities blog: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/
                            Twitter: @classiccomputNZ ; YouTube Videos: (click here)

Comment

If you can get a replacement cheap then I wouldn't bother. Unless the board is rare and valuable fixing it is not worth it other then gaining the skills needed to do such repairs. The first motherboard I bothered to clean up from a bad battery leak was a locally sold (by a small company who's BBS I used to be a member of) IBM 486slc66 (chip soldered to the board). These are not that common so I spent the time to repair it (pretty easy actually just needed 2 lines jumped on the bottom side of the board for the keyboard port to work again). Some repairs might not be economical, but the pride in making something run again is worth it sometimes.
                              What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
                              Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
                              Boxed apps and games for the above systems
                              Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Comment

Working...
                              X